Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need your valued collective opinions on this subject please. I primarily fish the Tangier Sound portion of The Chesapeake, the Wachapreague area and fall at the CBBT, as most of you already know, the best LTJ striper action you could every ask for. I target rock, hard head and flounder and use only light takle. Some cut bait but mostly artificial. I have two favorite rod/reel combos and both are St. Croix rods with Shimano Stradic reels (one a 2500FH and the other a 4000FH).

I have ALWAYS loaded the smaller reel with 8lb Power Pro and the larger one with 15lb (both on top of a layer of mono). It's time for me to re-spool both reels and I just happened to visit the Power Pro website today and read this:

Light Tackle Applications
Select a PowerPro line similar in diameter to the monofilament you normally use. For example, if you typically choose 8-lb. monofilament for applications, you would want 30-lb. PowerPro.

Now I am really confused. What is the general consensus out there with regard to #Test of Power Pro. I'd also be curious as to your thoughts on yards to be loaded for my applications (keeping in mind there is a few yards of mono on each reel). The spool capacity of normal line for the 2500 is 6#/200yds, 8/140 and 10/120. The 4000 is 8/240, 10/200 and 12/160. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I spool all my light tackle rods with 20lb. I put on enough mono til I can't see the spool any more and then fill 'er the rest of the way with braid. Might as well get all you can on there if you are targeting big stripers. Don't want to get spooled.:eek: :bigfish:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm like you I like the lighter Power Pro. I'm fishing 10 lb P/P (with mono backing) on a St. Croix 6.0 rod with a Shimano Sahara 1000FA reel. Largest Rock caught to date down at the CBBT was a 39in on a top water popper. Took me 15 minutes to get that fish in, but the rod and reel never complained. And yes I have the pictures to prove it. I got that combination after I went out with Walleye Pete LTJ. Not that he was fishing that exact combination, but it felt the same. I'm in love with the rig for LTJ. Sure you can put 30lb P/P on the rig. But do you need it?

Good Luck this summer.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Besides the better sensitivity of using a braid, one of the other advantages to using smaller diameter line is less resistance in the water. That lets your lure sink quicker and have less bow in strong current. I'd keep using what you have.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
I tend to agree with the 10-15# braid selection for LTJ'ing. I have some Phantom Red PP and I think the 15# PP is thinner then the 14# Fireline. 10# Fireline is what I cut my teeth on for deep LTJ'ing in current. It's thick enough not to bury itself on the spool and thin enough to cut through the water. I had some bad experiences with the thiness of Sten Superbraid.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Something to remember when switching to superbraid is that you need to be careful that your tackle can take it--light tackle designed to handle 15# line will not be happy when you crank down the drag with 60# braid on there--overdoing it with line strength caused a lot of broken rods early in the braid days--
on a similar note--how much drag can your reel effectively apply? If you can only get a smooth 6 pounds out of your light spinner, you aren't going to break 15 lb or 60 lb

Hans

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,151 Posts
On my Stradic 4000 reels I use between 150 to 200 yards of 15# Power Pro. To ensure I do not apply too much mono backing(usually 12# test since I have a zillion feet of it that I do not use for anything else) to the spool before I load the PP onto it, I use the spare spool that came with the reel.
First I tie the PP directly to the spool and then crank on 150 to 200 yards (based on what I have available on a 1000 yard spool). I then connect the 12# mono to the PP and finish loading the spool until it is as full as I like it to be.
Then I remove that spool from the reel and tie the mono from the first spool onto the empty spool that is then placed on the reel. Crank the line off the first spool onto the second spool and then tie 20# or 30# Fluorocarbon leader to the braid. When finished, the spool on the reel has the proper amount of PP and mono backing.
Sometime later in the season, I remove only the braid from the reel and reverse it back onto the reel. That places fresh, unworn braid at the working end of the spool. Cuts down on waste and expense.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Thats the deal Polecat. Come mid summer I reverse my line and use up the other end. I also think 15# PP is the best of all worlds. Its funny how its the hardest to find sometimes in the local stores. I still use mono for some things like topwater and spinnerbaits (killer on rock in the summer in the UB) where I like some more flex.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What Knots!

Go with a mono backing and 150 yds of 15lb power pro and use a 3'-4' quality 25lb flourocarbon leader.
We seem to have two threads going on braid here. I asked the following question on the other thread:

"What knot are you using to tie braid and mono together? I've used a double uni-knot, but that leaves a fairly big hump in the line. I've tried an allbright knot. It had a smaller profile and went through the rod guides more easily, but I don't know whether to trust it. It seemed to perform O.K., but I haven't seen any stats on it."

Any ideas?

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,749 Posts
Downsizing or Looking for aQuality 20' Catamaran, Single Engine, They're Now on the Market
Wood Free and Supply a Smooth, Dry Ride (no more pounding)
Capt. Tom Hughes - Light Tackle & Fly Fishing the Susquehanna Flats4/8/07-2PM Bass Pro Shop

I use 2 braided lines; 14# test Berkley FireLine and 30# test PowerPro. They are booth spooled on approximately 100' of 14# test monofilament. These lines are spooled on 2500# series spinning reels. They are both good fiber lines.

I selected 30# PowerPro because I didn't want to take a chance of the line knotting up against itself after fighting big stripers on a thigh drag.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If line capacity is a question, I've always get a few more yards of Power Pro on my spinning reels by using a tiny rubber band instead of the mono backing. That way no need for a blood knot to the mono so if you ever get spooled by a biggy, your power pro knot is the last thing you should be worrying about!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts