Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a slow adopter of new fishing ideas so have only been recently testing non-monofilament lines. I spooled up my smaller Shimano Baitrunner with 40 lb. test because I use it both on a light rod as well as on a heavier surf fishing rod. The stuff is obviously very supple, thin and strong. But it knotted up every other cast and drove me crazy this past week while red drum fishing on some flats. A knot would develop during the cast and reduce my casting distance as the knot passed through the rod guides. I had to pick out the knots all day long. Maddening.

Has anybody else experienced this on a light spinning outfit? I was tossing 1/4 and 3/8 ounce plastics and not doing anything noticable to cause this. I know mono can twist if you crank against your drag but this did not seem to be the case. The knots seemed to develop during the cast.

It was expensive to fill this reel. I'm going to despool it, maybe putting it onto one of my leverwind catfishing reels. I just haven't paid much attention to Power Pro discussions so maybe this is a common problem?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The biggest problem I've had is the first couple of loops after the bail closes being loose or over the top of the spool. This has seemed to cause problems on subsequent casts. I've gotten into the habit of closing the bail by hand and checking for a good lay of the line upon retrieve. MOmo will also do this but nowhere near as often as braid. It's a pain, but I still feel the perfomance of the braid makes it worthwhile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tried my first 30 lb. on spinning reel for togs last fall, loved it. After spending the winter bragging about Power Pro I Put 30lb. on my level wind for flounder this spring, it seemed to be full of weak spots,lost A lot of unnecessary lead over the tube. Spooled it, Replaced it with Stren Super Braid, only been out one time but it seems to cast much smoother and not have weak spots.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
what katch said----------------#14.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
wasabi - I'm slow to change too, but after my first spool of Fireline about 5 years ago I haven't looked back. I have 4 reels with Fireline (10# & 14#) . But this summer, one reel started doing exactly what yours is doing. As I would cast I'd see a tangle go flying out through the guides. Strange though, the tangle would be located much closer to the lure than the reel... which sorta cancels out the theory that there was a loop formed when the bail closed on the previous cast.

I like to fill my reels fuller than recommended... I like the extra casting distance. But this one reel thats acting up I think I loaded too full. I stripped off about 40 feet (or more as needed) and that seems to correct the problem.

Also, as I retrieve small weightless 3" & 5" BAs on the surface, I notice theres not enough lure resistance and the Fireline goes on a little too loosely. Theres no loops but I think that several wraps will come off at the same time during the cast and get messed up with each other.

Braid tangles are a lot of fun aren't they?!?!? Unlike mono tangles, which are fairly easy to undo, braid tangles go blindingly and hopelessly tight in a flash.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Stick with the PP. It's excellent stuff if you learn to do two things.

One, close the bail by hand. Close the bail by hand. Close the bail by hand.

Two, check your spool for loose loops of line. If you see one, make a super long cast and reel in the lure quickly to. Those knots are caused by loose loops forming and then you reel tight loops down on top of them.

99% of them are eliminated if you close the bail by hand. If you do get a knot, it's almost always an easy pick if you go slow and gentle.

Be sure you have not overfilled your spool too.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Close the bail by hand for sure. I still say Fireline is the beasr for casting. I do use a lot of Power Pro but only for deep water wreck fishing ans drifting for Flounder.

DEAN

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll pay closer attention to the bail activity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts