Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago, I ventured into braids with Powerpro on my surf reels but found that I didn't like the risk of cuts / needing to pull out a piece of broomhandle to break off skates & rays when they hit my rod (which was often)

For this year, I'm thinking about going back to braid but for light tackle spinning (perch, spot, etc.) when fishing out of my kayak.

I'd probably spool a 2500 series reel with braid and tie on a mono leader. Can anyone help me out with a comparison of experiences with Powerpro, Fireline and Spiderwire ? Pros & cons ?

I'd probably want to go very light in terms of lb test -- thinking mainly 10-12 lb.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've been using Fireline 10/4 for yellow perch and I'm considering going to something else. With light weights (up to 1/2 oz) the line doesn't easily come off the reel and I have to sometimes help it a bit. I believe it's because fireline is a flatter braid and catches on itself on the spool. I'd try to find a braid that's rounder (maybe powerpro).

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I use #10 Sufix Performance braid. Never go back to Fireline again.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The rounder braids are best (Powerpro, suffix, etc.) I haven't found much difference between them. Fireline is stiffer. If you are going for perch and spot, consider 5#, it is awesome for light stuff. I use 15# for my rockfish setups.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I have tried them all and power pro is the smoothest and best for me by far....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try the new Sufix 682. I have my spinning reels with 10 and 20#. It is a sinking line. Like it better than Power Pro. Quieter going through the guides. Knots tie easy.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I like Fireline Cystal. It's better for me than normal Fireline. I have red Power Pro on alot of reels that I use for bottom fishing and like it alot as well.

When breaking off, just hold the spool arund the reel so the drag cant work and point the rod straight where you are hung up and jank back. Because Braid has no stretch it should snap right off.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I use 10 or 12# Fireline Crystal on my spinning reels and 15# Power Pro on my baitcasters. With the 10-15# test breaking it of when snagged typically isn't too bad. Both seem to hold up well. One thing is with Fireline is not a braided line. You'll notice it start to fray a little towards the end after a while. Even frayed it holds up very well. I've seen it really look ugly and still not break. One thing to remember is most of these type lines break WAY over what there actual rating is Can't say one is any easier to tie knots in then the other. I've tried Spiderwire and didn't like it at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts