Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what everyone is seeing as far as buck activity. I saw my first couple of scrapes and bucks nosing around doe and drew in some small bucks tickling horns lightly but I believe another week until prime time.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Saw a small buck sniffing this afternoon. He was within 15 yards twice but not what I'm looking for. I still think its not yet in full swing around Disputanta.

DEAN who can't wait to climb into the stand in Surry tommorrow.

·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I say full swing prime time I mean you dont want to leave your stand all day!!! I think this is good pre rut activity when the young bucks feel their first loins burnin!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rut is on in Balt. County. Seems like every year during the doe only muzzle loader season bucks become active at least in the woods I hunt. Yesterday as I was scoping over which doe to take Bucky came in from the thick and was acting funny tail strait out and sniffin. When I shot the does were obviously nervous But bucky didnt care about the kaboom and stayed within range. Behind me after I shot mor does and a 4or 6pt youngin looked rite at me and stomped his front feet on the ground. Cool to watch hope we have the same success this AM.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gandre, where are you hunting (state) and how many deer did you slaughter, from the looks of your post it seem you must have a huge family to feed or you just like killing?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
HEard a little fork horn grunting the other evening, pretty sure it was the same one this morning, had him at 10 yds for about 15mins. Saw two does, couldn't get on either of them, nothing following them. I'm starting to see a few scrapes opening up and a few rubs too, nothing too exciting though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had a sweet 8 point walk within 10 feet on wednsday, doe only of course!! Outside the ears and pretty tall, good chocolate color too. He was lightly grunting the whole way in, untill he almost stepped on me and busted out of there. Many secondary scrapes on the ridge tops and the primary scrapes are staring to show. Found a nice primary scrape on friday when I crossed downwind of it on my way out, could smell that site from 50 yds downwind. I would say the best activity will start any day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nicbuck.,
Balti. Co. Md. Shot one doe (doe only season). Hunted this morning and evening with my sons the deer moved good today.

Greg

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Plenty of young bucks playing games with the does. The put their heads down raise their tales and run up to the does who run off for 20 yards or more then the bucks go after them again. Kinda of a courting dance. so far I have killed a fewe does for the freezer. I can kil as many as I want in Montgomery county with a bow this year. Killed 1 average 2 year old 6 pointer also. the next few weeks should bring out the big guys. I saw a Pope and young buck thursday night but he wa 100 yards away.

·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking for opinions on this warmer weather and how you think it effects the rut stages...Any experiences with weather change during the rut. I was thinking that it could dampen the rut or atleast make bucks not as wanting to chase.

Jason

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Saw a beautiful tall 10 pt on Friday (Doe only for us MD smokepolers) following closely behind a 6 pt. 20 yds from my stand Neither one seemd to concerned about the other in terms of competition. They were just following each other down a trail at 3:00 PM (Good Sign) headed towards the fields.

This was in Carroll County.

Choptank, any weather too much warmer than nornmal has an advers effet on the rut as deer are starting to pack their winter coats on and they don't like to sweat. Don't know how warm it needs to get before it becomes an issue. 70 75 80??????

Glad they're starting to answer the antlers.

·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was on stand this mrning and at first daylight I thought I heard turkeys coming off roost and scrathing but nope it was a beauty 10 point thrashing trees as he was cruising about 40 yards ( not my safe range) and he grunted twice after I gave tending grunts but kept on going, @ the same time I had a nice TALL 6 point 1 1/2 yr old deer investigating . Boy what a bruiser he will be in 2 years! But all the action stop about 45 mins after daylight. I am thinking the activity would have been better had the temps been around 40 degrees as they should be.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I traveled from Richmond to Roanoke and then Botetout and Franklin counties today for work and I saw one dead deer on the side of the road. Me thinks it'll be at least till this weekend before they start doing any real chasing around here. My buddy out in Blacksburg rattled in 2 small forkhorns the other day so thats a good sign.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I hunt in Wicomico Co. in MD and shot a nice doe last Saturday with bow. There is pleanty of really good scrapes, however after hunting a morning and following evening, I have yet to see any bucks. A huge 10pt was seen the day before by frineds. I hope this Thur, Fri, and Sat bring the Rut in right good, putting a wall-hanger in range. The word wall-hanger just gets my blood pumping to the point where I can't sleep. I love the fall, even though these temps stink.
Be safe and control the Buck Fever.....[excited]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts