Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
It's legal-some charters even offer discounts for C/R trips.
Fish with heavy gear-firm drag.You need to stay out of the rivers and below Balt. channel.
Like all C/R fishing-use mashed down barbs-get the fish in quick
Don't use a Boga grip or hold the fish only by the jaw-support her body with your other hand.
Unhook at the side of the boat and let her go
Keep the camera ready-fish should be out of the water less then 1 minute.
Handle them the right way and no doubt they survive.
Skip

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Pre Season

I usually use pre season trips as shakedowns for my boat making sure everything is as mechanically right as it can be after being in storage all winter. I usually put out a couple rods to check things out but if I hook up the fish doesn't even come out fo the water, I release at the side of the boat. Like Skip and others I use heavy tackle and Penn 340s or 345s to get the fish in as quickly as possible. I also remove the stinger hooks from my shads and use older baits that have the barbs removed. I'm more interested in locating fish than catching. Having said that, with the regs that are likely to be in place this year more fish than ever before will have to be released. It's important to keep this in mind when catching and handling these big fish. Most C&R techniques have been covered in this and other posts on the board and I hope we all keep these in mind.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Robert

I'll take the Pez dispenser for $100.00

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I don,t think theres a better way to catch and release fish then with heavy trolling gear. I use 80lb braid and just muscle them in. they come in much quiker then with light gear where you need a loose drag to tire them out. they are usually at the side of the boat within seconds after hiting the lure. still green:D

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
I usually will hit the rips in the A.M. when it turns on and then troll back towards Breezy or Ches. Beach to see if the fish are around and to test my set up

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
C&R in the spring is fairly safe for the fish if you take certain measures. Avoid stinger hooks and bring the fish in quick. My boat sits close to the water so I don't use a net that may remove slime coat. Grab the lure to use as a handle to control fish. Attach boga grip and remove the hook. If you want a picture, support the fish as you lift it out of the water for a quick shot. Be sure to revive the fish beside the boat befor you turn it loose. Get in to a routine so you don't have to think about what your do'n. Be quick, gentile, and use your head. Protect the slime coat and don't drop the fish whatever you do. Also, don't pull more lures than ya can handle efficiently------------------------;) :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts