Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you prefer when you go fishing: (1) more and larger fish with restrictive kill limits and seasons or, (2) fewer and smaller fish but longer seasons and more generous limits for keeping stripers? Your answer to this question will color your opinions regarding conservation of striped bass, seasons and limits.

I think this preference is really the "white elephant in the room" in discussions of recreational striped bass management.

There is also the serious concern that if we take too many we may not have either an abundance of large fish to C & R or a smattering of smaller ones to catch our limit.

From reading TF for a number of years, I realize members are split on this issue. It may be something we are forced to face more and more, as the resource continues to shrink coast wide.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Put me down for Number 1. Have no interest whatsoever in "good eatin size" Stripers.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Geez..... havent I made my views clear in the other dome-beater threads :D

I want to see a federal creel limit set on migratory fish like the striped bass and a longer seasons for all to have the opportunity to harvest these fish.

I would like to see federal limits of 1 large fish per angler and 1 smaller slot fish per angler across the board. (numbers to be set by those managing the species but an example would be 1 fish at 22-36" and 1 fish 36"+) To me this would protect the heritage and records of hunting for largest fish and provide a fishery for those that desire to keep a smaller fish in back waters. It would also cut down the harvest of the larger spawing fish in the migratory run as a whole and also cut down on the harvest of juvenille fish allowing more to reach sexual maturity. These fish do not know state boarders and shouldnt be managed as such. I want to see all sportfisherman have the opportunity to experience the heritage of the sport of hunting for these fish. Whether you are looking for a record or just some table fare, I think a federal creel limits on these fish could accomplish this. Should populations require it, I would be for a 1 fish per person limit ( I dont think we are there). I am however against taking away the opportunity to harvest the largest fish.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Bill,
I think we all need to look at the success stories in fisheries management. Shouldn't take long right?
Redfish are a great example. A long lived fish with highly migratory adult fish and juveniles that stay inside the estuary...
slot size of 18 to 27 with no harvest of the true adult fish.
You want to ensure this fishery for future generations? That's how it will be done.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'd go for a slot limit like reds. My grill isn't big enough for a 50# striper. :D

I agree withe OneMoreCast. You can't argue with the success of the redfish recovery.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
My question? Who would want to eat a fish out of the bay? That's a different story...

I want the ability to keep a nice fish from time to time. 5-6 a year in the 24-36" will do.

The bay should be C&R for the entire spring run.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Another integral factor in the redfish recovery was the removal of nets inshore. I also would like to see some type of slot limits on rock throughout its range and C&R only in the spring.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If we could take the $ out of the equation the answer would be fairly obvious and we would all agree quickly.

the winter season is a disater to to the stock and should be more like one per boat.

IMO there is no reason to keep a trophy size outside of meat. I just got this trophy back and it is a true work of art. It is extra special to me because it was off the surf...AND released.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
A few questions for those of you that are for a slot only harvest:

1. Do you think records and the hunt for the largest fish are important to the heritage of the sport?
2. Do you believe that striped bass poplutions can be sustained without a juvenille slot only harvest?
3. Do you release all large fish currently caught without regulations?
4. Would you release a potential state or world record fish if caught on your boat?

While I believe redfish have been a success story, I also believe a part of the sport has been hurt through preventing new records from being set. I also believe striped bass are a success story while still maintaining the heritage and ability to set new records. I believe redfish could have done this as well. I also believe that there is much more to the red drum recovery pertaining to commercial harvest practices and regulations. It is also important to note that even according to the ASMFC that the slot poses two significant problems. "First, the fishery removes mostly juvenile fish in state waters, which has significantly reduced recruitment to the spawning stock. Second, data on the adult population are limited, which makes assessing stock status difficult" ( Interstate Fisheries Management ) Personally these questions in part helped me come to my conclussion that an upper and lower slot with more limited catches would sustain the species potentially better than the redfish regs that only offer smaller slots of fish under 27" and up to 5 fish per angler per trip. (why different states are able to set their own regulations based on quotas on this migratory fish is beyond me - migratory fish need conistant federal creel limits) As I stated above with consistant federal creel limits of 1 large fish and one smaller slot fish that it would reduce the harvest of spawning fish and also reduce the catch of juvenille fish that will join the spawning stock. It also provides for a bay/backwater fishery and protects the heritage of records.

Personally, I would rather eat a 48" fish from the ocean than a smaller resident fish of the bay. The option I propose provides for both.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I agree withe OneMoreCast. You can't argue with the success of the redfish recovery.
Ditto, it looks like it was a success there. I don't know if there was ever as much a desire to catch and keep a large red as there is now to catch and keep a trophy rock. A slot seems the way to go still allowing plenty of meat to be brought to the tables. For charters & recs, when it's spring and the cows are running, I find it hard to believe that a firm slot with an upper limit of 36", will prevent folks from getting their limit. Every fish that comes over the rail is not going to be 36"+

For the trophy hunters I've seen the idea proposed for a trophy tag. Would like to hear the pros-cons of this option.

TIGHT LINES!!!

·
Registered
981 Posts

1. Do you think records and the hunt for the largest fish is important to the heritage of the sport?

NO

2. Do you believe that striped bass poplutions can be sustained without a juvenille slot only harvest?

I believe the more breeders that are out there, the better the fishery.

NO, I kept one fish during trophy season, and if I catch a large fish in the gills, I would keep it as its already dead, but I have no problem releasing big fish, and do so on a regular basis

4. Would you release a potential state or world record fish if caught on your boat?

I don't care about records, they are not why I fish.

I just don't see the need to keep breeders.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts

1. Do you think records and the hunt for the largest fish are important to the heritage of the sport?
1. No. It's nice to catch a bubba & talk about it, but lots of folks are happy catching 18"ers.
2. Yes.
3. Define large. We keep ocean fish up to 36" for table fare, about 10 a year. Bigger ones go back in, unless thats all we get for the trip.
4. I dunno. Nailing a 60"+ fish... who knows how one would react in that situation.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
For the trophy hunters I've seen the idea proposed for a trophy tag. Would like to hear the pros-cons of this option.
Great question. Personally I am for exploring trophy tags if necessary. However I do have some conerns with this idea in the sense of how limiting is it (How many large fish can an angler keep a season?). I also would want to see it done federally and not by state. I also have already pointed out potential problems with the juvenille slot only harvest in an earlier post. Would a slot only with a trophy tag lead to greater harvests of fish that are to become the breeders in the future? This has its potential negative impacts as well.

While I am not a great fisherman like Skip, Fishcop and some others who come to this board. I personally would rather catch 1 or 2 45"ers on a trip than 100 18-24"ers.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Please help understand the need to keep juvenille fish who will become breeder then. Because you dont care about records and it isnt important to you does that mean everyone should follow your ideals?
I think a mature cow bass is more important a juvenile, and nine time out of ten, those big fish are cows that can lay eggs, lots and lots of eggs. You stand a better chance of catching a male when you catch fish in the slot range OMC described.

You asked for opinions, and I gave mine. Let me put it right back at you, because records are important to you does that mean everyone should follow your ideals????

You know how they saved the pheasant populations and made it sustainable in the Dakotas after a near collapse? Here's how. They made it illegal to kill hens. You can only kill roosters. Guess what, the population rebounded, and is in excellent shape. The reason being, only hens can lay eggs, but any rooster can fertilize them. I think this same theory would be a win-win for rockfish.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts

1. Records? The record fish I've caught (personal records) are hopefully still swimming and spawning. This makes them much more valuable to me and the future viability of our fishing.
2. Dunno - I want to see the stats and science behind a change like that.
3. Definitely.
4. Definitely.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
You asked for opinions, and I gave mine. Let me put it right back at you, because records are important to you does that mean everyone should follow your ideals????
I dont expect you to follow my ideals. You are always free to release any fish you catch. However, I do think records and the hunt for the largest animal is important to the heritage of sportfishing. It has been a part of our culture of hunting and fishing forever. If it wasnt, records wouldnt be kept and talked about for generations. I think a harvest on the large fish can be done and still sustain the stocks. As I mentioned before I also believe these regulations need to be federal and not at the states discressions based on quotas set by the feds. Of course all this needs to be done wisely. While fingers generally get pointed at Ches Bay recs regarding the harvest of bass, I believe that it is the coastal region that hurts the current breeding stocks the most. By greatly reducing their harvest, yet still allowing them to keep a fish per person, and cutting back on the summer juvenille fish to promote future breeders that we can sustain the fishery and accomodate the needs of most fisherman fairly (everywhere along the migratory run).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts