Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
All depends on location and what you are fishing for:
Inshore wwwwwb like spugeon said and also lower your speed if trying for bluefins
Offshore some days keep the whole spread tight. Somedays way back. Most trips I like making a tight spread to make it seem like a large bait pod, Like pfeehley said you can get single bites and miss out on multiples . But every trip can be different. Get as much intel on what has been working and plan on changing out as the day goes along. There are days will go from standard spread to greensticking, dropping jigs ,sweep spooning, sniper rig and back to standard spread just to find them

Finally the problem with us small boat guys is when we are fishing up against the big diesel boats its hard to compete for bites against them. Best advice to that is find your own fish unless they are just snapping at anything. Also overnighting trips you can get the late evening and first light bites before the fleet start rolling in

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I also keep the spread tight at least when going for yellows. Two small spreaders down the middle off the center rigger to start with and then tweak from there. Position the longs riggers between them lengthwise so hopefully the bars draw fish into the meat lines. Short riggers just beyond bigger bars off the rod tips. Last trip I swapped out the shotgun spreader for a flippy floppy and liked how that ran (got bit by dolphin at least). I may pull a big shute in the long center position next trip just beyond the flippy but will probably start with a bar.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I just got back into the offshore game. Used to fish with my father religiously from 1990 to 1998 until he sold his Grady. The green machine WWWB on a bird was killer back then for bluefins on the inshore humps off of wachapreague.

On our maiden voyage on my boat last Thursday, I had high hopes on the green machine way back. I was honestly disappointed.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Its not every trip the wwbs catch but there are times they seem to catch when all else fails.Do not rely on them but do not discount them.They can save the day.I caught 2 hefty ytf in heavy boat traffic last week on them that I may not have caught in close.Not many at all were catching around me so I credit it to the wwb.They are not easy to run or fun to reel in and check but they are solid fish catchers sometimes.And then again sometimes they will eat 12ft off the transom.....gotta be versatile.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Green machines still catch fish. Green machine bar can be deadly. Funniest bird green machine catch was one evening right at dark we started getting the lines in and after the bird was out of the water we had a 100 pd big eye jump on it and ended up boating. So don't give up on it for good

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I like to run big 5 3/4 oz joe Shute with a select Bally . last year it was a trip saver. My friend who I fish with swears by the gm behind birds and so far this year it has caught tuna every trip for him.. To each his own I guess

1 - 17 of 17 Posts