Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get my Dad a good pair of prescription sunglasses such as Costa del mar or Oakley or others,I was hoping to get some input form other TFers. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
207 Posts
i have a pair of prescription sunglasses i got them at my eye doctor http://www.visionassoc.com/locate-us in elkton md. they are much like costas which my son sells at molly masons where vonnies used to be in kennedyville. the eye doc ishtac developed a line of sunglasses named after the rivers of the chesapeake really cool.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Oakley's are great.
The only downside to them are that you are going to want to get a really durable pair, such as the "Juliets" and they can get real expensive!
But, my friend has had a pair of them for 5 years wit NO problems. He has just replaced the rubber on the eye sockets a couple times, but
that is only $10 or so.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I got a pair from the local optician just like my regular glasses. To be honest I would prefer a pair that had more of a wrap around style to them. If you dad wears bifocals make sure you get bifocals. I used to wear single vision and then couldn't see to tie knots unless it was my dock line.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My maui Jims may not be prescription but you cant beat them. They get any kind of salt on them just a rinse with fresh water and they are good to go. No water spots or anything.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm on my 3rd pair a Smith RX sunglasses and love them. You can order them straight from the manufacturer and for prescription the price isn't bad. Think my last pair set me back around $300. Customer service has been very good. Sent one pair back to have new rubber nose pieces put on and sent back another pair which were in my backpack when I slammed into a tree skiing and broke the frames. Both were repaired at no cost. I've always gotten glass lenses and think they are as good as anything else out there.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I have used Costas for years, my prescription is going to change so they will use the same frames and put in new lens. I have used Clearsight opticians in Ft. Lauderdale forever, most of the charter boat captains and fishing guides get their glasses there. You can do everything over the phone or on line. I think they are the largest Costa dealer in the world.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I've got the Rx Costas as well...love 'em!! However, if your dad has any eye insurance...he may be able to get them covered under his ins plan like I did!!

Just a thought...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Rx Wave Killers and Triple Tails - love em. Bought them from FramesDirect.com. Not cheap, but well worth it. Takes seveal weeks - they send the frames to Costa, Costa grinds the lenses and sends the glasses back to Framesdirect for quality inspection.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Keep in mind the costa's come in two lenses 400 and 580. I don't believe you can get the 580 lense in prescription. You may not be getting the same quality lense in prescription from costa. I've had one pair of costas for 15 years and love them still. The costa rep. at the Miami boat show last week called them vintage. :)

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I wear contacts so I only need regular sunglasses. Lost a 10 year old pair of Costas in the surf last year and am getting ready to drop $200 to buy another pair. I will swear by Costa's quality. Some debate their warranty and the handling charge for warranty repairs but the quality can't be deabted.

For me the true test of any product is whether or not you would buy it again.

For those of you who say you always lose your sunglasses so you can't buy a good pair ($$) if you ever do, you will guard them as much as your car keys and wallet. I paid $150 for the first pair and kept them for 10 years. I paid $20 for a cheap "get me by pair" and lost them in 2 months. You do the math.

Chris

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have a pair of Bayz, developed by a local eye doc as in masterbaiters post....vision associates on the upper eastern shore. Very comfortable and they can do any Rx you have. Have had mine for over 5 years with no problems.

John

·
Registered
643 Posts
i had a pair of prescription polarized dkny frames i really liked. probably cost $400 all up. i still had to carry regular glasses for going in and out of buildings, getting dark etc..

my nephew put me out of my misery at hersheypark; while i was holding him so he could chuck corn off the bridge feeding ducks, he knocked them off into the river. that's ok, i put it on his 'list'.

i'm wearing contacts and regular sunglasses again. but VA gave my Dad vision correction at about age 80. after all those years, i couldn't get used to seeing him without glasses. i may do it myself. not sure how cheap you can get it, but i had price for the very same guy that did Tiger Woods at $4k.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Depends on his prescription. I have horrible eyesight, so can't get any "wrap" types, but got a nice pair of Oakley "regular" frames with tinted lenses. They look decent and work well. If he doesn't have a bad prescription, you can get a prescription in almost anything you see. I go to Peepers in Severna Park and really like them.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
I have prescription Maui Jim Bayfront's and love them. I think Shades on the bay on Main St in Naptown can take care of it. Otherwise the Maui Jim site will show you local dealers.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Maui Jims are the best sunglasses for being on the water. They are also available to be fit with a perscription. Just ask your eye folks, they can do it. I have been wearing them for years. My mother worked for an eye surgeon and he wore them while on his boat. He recommeneded them to me. Expensive up front but great quality and great customer service from the company. I have had two pair run over by fire engines and have been able to send them back for repair or replacement at a fraction of the original cost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been wearing polarized perscription glasses since they first came on the market about 40 years ago and offer this advice:

Some of your options for your dad may be limited by his actual perscription. If your dad has really heavy perscription requirements alot of the designer frames ie fancy wraparounds and high fashion frames are not available in strong perscription lenses. You need to have a copy of his perscription as you shop around.

You also need to talk to pop about how he sees in low light conditions. Optic grey lenses filter out about 90% light only allowing 10% to pass thru. They may only work for dad only on the brightess days. Polarized amber lenses filter out about 60% available light and cut down glare on partly clouded days while brightning up contrast. I can't read the dash of my truck anymore with dark lenses on.

now for a little controversy: Perscription lenses from Costco, Walmart, Oakley , Wiley X, Hobie,Rudy Project , Costa and Sams Club are essentially the same no matter what the sales hipe they throw at you. It's like buying generic vs name brand drugs......no difference. Some offer glass lenses which are heavier...but offer a little more scratch resistance. The name brands are selling fashion and sell specialty colors in blues and greens and rose with and without mirrored finishes.

You can go buy your dad a pair of Rayban Wayfarers and take them to Sams Club and they will make a set of lenses to fit them and only add an additional $10-20 bucks. Maybe you get him a pair of grey polarized and amber polarized for the same price of a "fancy pair"

Last shades I bought was Rudy Project Exceptions. They are fancy wraparounds that I priced at Peepers for $750. I bought two pairs of frames plus polarized grey, polarized rose, polarized amber,amber mirrored and 5 sets of nose pads online for about two hundred dollars. Then took them to Sams club for clear Zeiss perscription lenses that actually sit behind the colored polarized lenses. Saved hundreds.

Good luck
Giz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts