Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To my dear Tidal Fish friends,

For those of you who missed the live broadcast of the final round of QOB this past Saturday in Cape Charles, I would like to present to you your 2016 "Queen of the Bay", Sharon "Sharklslayer" Martin. Sharon who hales from Williamsburg (team "Colonial"), was fishing in her first tournament, and was being coached by her husband Scott. The early press reports totally missed this "dark horse", who emerged over the course of this four day tourney (as a late registrant). Most bets for the crowning had been on elite lady angler Sarah Capp of Centreville and the young ladies from team Fishful Thinking of Mechanicsville, Natalie "Hollywood" Wood (runner up to the crown) and Cheany Terry.

13907204_556371487888849_8964848543503557345_n.jpg

Sharon began to make her presence known on Friday scoring on some of the simpler catches (pigfish, sea robin, puffer spot, pinfish, croaker, and sea mullet ) slicing her way up the leaderboard. She nailed six of the possible 10 landing spots closing her day out with 600 points. She also provided a beautiful sandshark catch befitting a princess in waiting.

Sea Mullet.jpg

Shark.jpg

She and Scott returned Saturday for the final round which was broadcast live via the streaming webcam and all results showing instantaneous on the Live Leaderboard. There were no cuts or edits (unlike what you see on CBS sports and other fishing shows … and there were no breaks for commercials :clapping2:). The seas were preparing to give up the long lost tiara of Mary Boleyn, the sister of English Queen Ann Boleyn, and the mistress of Henry VIII. It is believed that the tiara was buried at sea with her grandson Thomas West, Baron De La Warr, for which we get the name Delaware. Thomas West died at sea on his second voyage back to Jamestown. He had been serving as governor-for-life of the fledgling colony. Some believe that Thomas West was buried at sea in the Azores, but current theories suggest he may have been buried at Jamestown. Either way, the tiara was likely with him and eventually under water. As you know, most of the Jamestown fort was recently uncovered in the James River.

The FightRotated.jpg

Cownose.jpg

As Sharon was chasing down Michael "Maddog" Guerra of LA based team "Limitless" for the championship, a storm brewed. We eventually had to raise the yellow flag on the pier and clear the decks. At the time, Sharon the Sharkslayer had hooked up on a very large ray. The rules allowed her to continue to fight in the monster while everyone else sheltered in place in the Pagoda on the pier. She had already been on that ray for about ½ hour. The rained poured, but she continued to fight that mammoth cownose up and down the pier. The fact that we cleared the deck due to the storm worked against the seas (since now she wasn't also fighting the line of anglers previously fishing the southward edge of the pier). Sharon closed out the tourney with the last catch and what would turn out to be the largest of the tourney, a 35.18 lb cownose ray. With the rain still coming down (she being drenched), she returned to the safety of the pagoda to a standing ovation by the participants. At that point, there was a massive lightning strike on the nearby tower.

OvationRotated.jpg
"Sharon receiving the well earned ovation"

Unfortunately, the next part of this story I am about to tell was not clearly captured on the video since the cameras were turned to look up and down the pier. The lightning strike can be clearly verified via meteorological records, but the nearby dolphins bearing the lost tiara is a little sketchy. We've got our media forensics people working it. Either way, the tiara was delivered soon after the ray catch and the massive lightning strike.

Following the payouts to the contestants, Sharon was crowned "Queen of the Bay" with the delivered tiara (found to be in excellent shape after years lost at sea). She was curtseyed by all the contestants and even her husband Scott (I have that on instant replay for those who know Scott and might need this to hang over him in the future). In addition to the prized and coveted tiara, Sharon also took home $300 in dough (due to having won several species catches outright) and a fantastic rod-n-reel combo from Chris' Bait and Tackle (awarded for her cownose ray catch). Our overall champion "Maddog" Guerra actually forgoed some of his cash for a really nice Bailey's Bait and Tackle Rod-n-Reel combo package.

In summary, I'd like to thank all those who contributed to the success (sponsors and volunteers) of QOB and to our incredible participants. I hope you will all look at the Live Leaderboard and see the many pictures we have uploaded against individual catches and teams. There were so many other story lines passing through this tourney, especially with some of our Special Anglers. For example, our young overall champion, Michael "Maddog" Guerra, is a real gem, who would take time out of his own pursuits, and assist us when Special Anglers arrived on deck to fish.

MichaelAssisting.jpg
Michael (in corner) shown here assisting Special Angler Sheena Horsman

I received excellent constructive feedback from many on ways to improve upon this tournament format (which signifies to me that you are taking ownership).

If you run into Sharon, please show her the respect she deserves as a queen. A curtsy is most appropriate and please do not turn your back on her when departing her presence.

Joe posts . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jack .. and I appreciate all the advice you provided for our Military Appreciation Calcutta. Although I really liked the way that played out, I would have liked to have seen the purse grow to a much larger value (i.e. ~$500). Either way, the 4~5 guys who competed in that division, really appreciated what we and others had done to recognize them. The fact that they could compete in that division with any species kept things exciting.

We were asked about doing something similar for law enforcement personnel. I would do that in a heartbeat too ... we just need folks to contribute to it. Maybe next year ... especially if I hear that law enforcement personnel will participate with us.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Joe,

Great job with the tourney. The leaderboard looks great, but we noticed that your top angler is based out of LA. We hope you realize that LA is located in the state of California. That is what the "CA" represents on the Leaderboard - CALIFORNIA. You made much to do about your new queen out of "Williamsburg". How convenient.

We'd like to know the story of the LA based team that appears to have whooped the butts of your east coasters. Team "Limitless" is all over the leaderboard. It seems like you had to cough while you said "CA" all in the same breath. Actually, we noticed that you didn't even mention the state for which LA is located. I guess that was too difficult for you to write in your post.

Did you really think that would slip by us?

FD Social

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe,

... but we noticed that your top angler is based out of LA. We hope you realize that LA is located in the state of California. That is what the "CA" represents on the Leaderboard - CALIFORNIA. You made much to do about your new queen out of "Williamsburg". How convenient.

We'd like to know the story of the LA based team that appears to have whooped the butts of your east coasters. Team "Limitless" is all over the leaderboard. It seems like you had to cough while you said "CA" all in the same breath. Actually, we noticed that you didn't even mention the state for which LA is located. I guess that was too difficult for you to write in your post.

Did you really think that would slip by us?

FD Social
Nice try guys. Consider yourselves foiled again. You've fallen into a trap. The top five anglers you see on the leaderboard are all from Virginia. Michael "Maddog" Guerra and Jack "Blackjack" Barker both hail from Virginia's Eastern Shore. These local boys, in addition to Alex Brown of Eastville, ran the boards. I will give you that team "Limitless" was coached by Leland Sharp, who is a renown artist with studios in LA and NY, but he himself has some roots to the Eastern Shore. I believe his grandmother (or his mother) is an Eastern Shore resident. A number of out of town anglers who fished with us were in town visiting relatives similar to Leland.

This was a Virginia landslide!

I'm working on press releases for the local boys et. al. They will get their due press.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like a case of sour grapes! Made perfect sense for a fitting story of the Queen of the Bay. After all that was the official name of the tournament. Better luck next year boys. Maybe then there will be a King (or Prince) of the Bay Tournament.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts