Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on some decking modifications for my jonboat...converting an indented (stepped) front deck to flat, creating storage, back deck to cover gas/battery areas etc. Exposed wood is pressure treated; support framing underneath is regular lumber.

I had heard that the PT decking should be painted w/polyurathane so it would not soak up water (and add weight)...also allow for camo painting. Same w/the framing...paint w/poly to seal. All deck seams and corners w/be caulked and edged w/aluminum trim. I was looking at Interlux Polyurethane at the marine shop today; also gazed at interior home polyurethane for interior use as well as stuff like Thompsons Water Seal.

I'll likely cover some of this wood w/carpet, but was curious if I needed to go to these lengths of painting/sealing ( do want this wood to last a long time)...or if there are alternate recommendations.

Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I haven't actually been in this situation but cutting epoxy in half, more solvent, for the initial coating to soak in and seal the wood is the way to go. I'm fast approaching the same problem with a 20+yo center console.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just re did a 1976 tri hull to convert it into a bass and duck combo boat. I used all pressure treated lumber and coated it with fiber glass resin then with finish cloth and a final coat of the resin. I stayed aaway from the carpet (slick when frozen) I used garage floor enamel with sand mixed in for the complete non skid approach.

On the inside of the decks I used an outside poly with a very generous coat.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks hillbilly and Bob. I've seen the fiberglass resin and epoxy and wondered that would provide more protection than just polyurethane up top...I'll look into these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts