Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Interesting. Wonder what the prices are like. Definitely easy to clean. Wonder how well the aluminum holds up to excessive saltwater abuse.

I like the bracket on the back to maintain additional cockpit space, little unusual on a 20' For an aluminum boat it even has some good weight to it at 1900# for the 20'.

Chris

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Heavy for aluminum??

Must be a lot of aluminum in those boats - 23WA model weighs more than our 23' Fiberglass WA cuddy cabin.

Also find it interesting that they picture the 20'er on a tandem trailer.

Just a few observations.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I first saw this boat because it was featured in The Fisherman year end review and I instantly fell in love with it. They can do all kinds of cool things. I am still in love with thise boat. I would love a test ride in three footers , but, my 35 year old Whaler treats me just fine for now.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Sorry I had to give a quick reply earlier today folks, but I still have a day job and need to take care of my BOE communications in the evenings and on weekends.
The BOE office is staffed full time, so if you want to call during the day and talk to Jim or Beth, feel free to do so. Of course, if you hit that email link in my signature, I will call or return your email as soon as I can.

Let me try to answer some of the questions in this thread by telling you what we are doing...

BOE Marine has signed an agreement to become the factory authorized distributor for Black Lab Marine plate alloy boats, which are based in Yarmouth Maine. We are presently having a custom Black Lab V23HTW built, which will look very similar to the one below when it is finished.

Slipsinker and Bottom Knocker are correct that you see a lot of plate alloy boats in the PacNW and in Alaska. Well, these boats are manufacturerd in Marysville Washington, and are marketed on the west coast under the name Pacific Skiffs Inc.

Jay Perotta, President of Black Lab Marine began bringing these boats to Yarmouth Maine in the mid 1990's where he would finish them for duty in the Northeast. As of this year, the boats finished in Yarmouth are labled as Black Lab Marine Plate Alloy Boats and have become very much an east coast boat as the design has evolved for east coast tastes, and fishing conditions.

The boat that BOE is having built is unique, in that it has a new design center console and hard-top that is longer and wider than previous models. It includes a step-in console door to an area that can be used for storage or for holding a porta-potti.

Every Black Lab Marine boat is custom built of 5000 series marine aluminum in a monocoque design, and can be had as a simple center console without even a windshield, up to and including models with a full cabin. You have your choice of the west coast style windshield as seen below, or the east coast style as seen above.

I have a multi-page pdf file showing all of the models in the line, including a list of options and pricing for anyone who would like one. Because these boats are custom built and sold factory direct, you can sit down... check off the options you want, and price it out right off of the brochure.

Click the link to my email and I'll send a brochure out to anyone who would like one, along with a reprint of an article that appeared in the Feb 2006 issue of Soundings magazine that tells a little more about the boat and the company.

For people who would like to browse online and answer questions like "Is a plate alloy boat hot (or cold) to the touch?", you can find those answers at the company web site.

http://www.blacklabmarine.com/index.html

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I like a Carolina Flared Hull to knock down the spray.You'll need a rain coat & spray mask when it gets choppy.
Capt Nick... I like, and can appreciate a Carolina flare too!

Plate alloy cannot be formed into the compound curves needed to create a Carolina flare, but that flare isn't there to deflect spray. Spray is generated when water separates from the hull at the chine, so flare has nothing to do with it.

Carolina flare is there to generate buoyancy for when a bow wants to plunge into a wave, such as when a boat is transiting an inlet.

Check out this cross section, and you can see where the water gets stripped from the hull at the chine.

Tell you what... When our boat arrives, I'll take you out in whatever conditions you'd like and I'll let you drive... Bring your mask, snorkel and rain coat with you if you'd like... but you won't need em.

Deal? :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.