Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for experiences from hunters who have used the can call. I love all primos products like the "rubber neck" grunt call sounds awesome!!.

What experinces have you guys had with the "can call"? I have used it for 10 years now and have had varying success. How have does reacted to it?

GO GET EM' Jason

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ive never had any success with it and I will tell youi scared a buck away with it this morning. i may never use it again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
MOST OF THE BIG BUCKS I'VE SHOT HAS BEEN BECAUSE OF THE BLEAT. THE ONLY THING FOR LONG DIDTANCE I USE THE MOUTH CALL FOR MORE RANGE. IF THE BLEAT DOESN'T WORK FOLLOW UP WITH A FEW SHORT GRUNTS. DEADLY COMBO.

·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is basicaly what I tyr to accomplish a bleat and a few mis directional short grunts to imitate a tending buck. I have called in a few bruisers with the can call but I was not sure if it ever scared a buck away before I knew he was there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Used the can this morning. Had a nice 6 pointer come into my area and started walking away. I used the can and the buck looked up for a second and then put his head down and walked away slowly. I used the can again and he paid no attention to it.

It didn't scare or attract him. Who knows. It was a nice experiment.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I bought the "True Talker" by HS Calls last year or the year before and have had very good results, some bad too. It is a reed type call that is adjusted by your finger placement on the tube. It has a very realistic range of sounds. Now the good/bad part.

This past saturday AM went as follows. While grunting had 2 experiences. I buck grunted blindly and had a 5 pt come in about 60 yds out and begin thrashing a tree. He then started to stray away when I grunted a few times away from him and he responded by walking in almost a straight line and come to a spot 8 yds from my tree where he was subsequently shot. So goes #3 for the year.

The second experience after the first involved some does out about 80 yards that I tried to capture their attention with a few doe bleats and startled them over the side of the hill out of sight.

You figure it out. Sometimes they wrok, sometimes they don't. Kinda like fishing, if you use the same lure long enough sooner or later you will find a fish that will eat it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have had decent to good success calling smaller bucks using "The Can". I actually called a 3 point in three times in about 2 hours yesterday. I'm seeing deer almost every day but not the one I'm looking for.

DEAN

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ditto Ketch, The best deer I called in was several years ago and is on the wall, but I have had little ones come off course to it and I have had fairly nice buck like yesterday ignore it. I think alot has to do with if they hear it or not I know my buddy was using one last year we were intree stands and I could see him going through the motions but could not hear it...???? you never know.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I use it and have had success. I called in a 4 ptr last year while he was rubbing a tree. He trotted straight to me and I arrowed him about 5 yds away. I guess he was in the mood.

I think it is all timing, just like any another calls and scents.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Choptank, I don't like to do cold calling, except rattling. I had a doe and two fawn's amble across a field to me after they heard it once. I use a grunt call more often to turn, stop, or get a deer's attention. Once he turns an ear to the sound I stop grunting. I've had good sucess doing this.

BILL

·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HTD..... I agree fully. You can tell by a deers body language what they like or dont like. I give soft grunts bleats only if a deer is going away and out of the 40 yard range. Off topic a bit but a little suggestion that has helped me . After the shot has been made and the deer has not bolted off I give a soft grunt as the deer has not known what has happened but is a little spooked. I have them walk towards me and then fall. or walk off slowly and knocked the tracking time. May not make sense but it has worked and even if its a clean miss and they bolt I have grunted immediatly and they have returned not knowing what the noise was.

·
Registered
99 Posts
New info just came in yesterday! One of the young bucks in the area has killed a couple of small bucks and put his uncle on one this week. His uncle told me they were using the can every 10 min. I couldn't find my can yesterday, Due to the kids, but I'm going to try it today.

BILL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts