Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just confirms to me that the Brits are our best ally, esp. placing royalty in harms way. This prince has my respect.:clap:

Report: Prince Harry due in Iraq

POSTED: 8:43 p.m. EST, February 17, 2007

var clickExpire = "03/19/2007";Story Highlights

• Report says Prince Harry is to be deployed to Iraq
• Newspaper says 22-year-old will be sent to Basra with his regiment
• Prince has trained to command 11 men and four tanks
LONDON, England (AP) -- Prince Harry will be serving as a soldier in Iraq by the end of the month, a British newspaper reported Saturday.

Defense Secretary Des Browne is expected to announce February 26 that the prince, who is third in line to the throne, will be deployed along with his regiment near Basra in southern Iraq, The Daily Mirror newspaper reported, citing an unnamed senior military official.
A royal family spokesman declined to comment and the Defense Ministry called the report speculative, saying upcoming Iraq deployments had yet to be finalized.
The 22-year-old prince, known as Troop Commander Wales by his regiment -- the Blues and Royals -- has trained to command 11 soldiers and four Scimitar tanks.
The Defense Ministry has previously confirmed Harry could go to Iraq if his unit was deployed there, but said he might be kept out of situations where his presence would jeopardize his comrades.
Prince William, training as a troop leader within the Blues and Royals, cannot be deployed to war zones because he is second in line to the British crown.
Britain has 7,000 troops based in southern Iraq and plans to reduce numbers through the course of 2007, government officials have said.
Harry, who graduated last year from Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, said in a 2005 interview that he was keen to fight for his country.
"There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country," he said.
In joining the military, Harry followed a royal tradition: Charles was a pilot with the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy and Harry's grandfather, Prince Philip, had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy.
Harry's uncle, Prince Andrew, was a Royal Navy pilot and served in the Falklands war against Argentina.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Our "best" ally???? Our a$$ is in trouble!

They have a piddly 7,100 troops there and will soon be pulling out almost half of them.

Whatca been smoking honey?

"Blair expected to announce the withdrawal of British troops from Iraq, BBC says

Posted Feb. 20, 2007
8:35 PM

(London-AP) _ Prime Minister Tony Blair will announce on Wednesday a new timetable for the withdrawal of British troops from Iraq, with 1,500 to return home in several weeks, the BBC reported.

Blair will also tell the House of Commons during his regular weekly appearance before it that a total of about 3,000 British soldiers will have left southern Iraq by the end of 2007, if the security there is sufficient, the British Broadcasting Corp. said Tuesday night, quoting government officials who weren't further identified.

The BBC said Blair was not expected to say when the rest of Britain's forces would leave Iraq. Currently, Britain has about 7,100 soldiers there."

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Pretty limited choices you are offering there Frankie?
England or France?

That's it?
Those are the only two allies we have?
Darn! GWB has done worse than I thought in cultivating allies for our nation. After 9-11 everybody seemed to want to be our friend.
21 Allies currently in Iraq

Iraq Coalition Troops

Non-US Forces in Iraq - February 2007

The size and capabilities of the Coalition forces involved in operations in Iraq has been a subject of much debate, confusion, and at times exageration. As of August 23, 2006, there were 21 non-U.S. military forces contributing armed forces to the Coalition in Iraq. These 21 countries were: Albania, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Poland, Romania, South Korea, and the United Kingdom.
However, in the August 23, 2006 Iraq Weekly Status Report (Slide 27) the State Department listed 27 foreign countries as contributing troops to the Coalition in Iraq. The additional four countries were Japan, Portugal, Singapore and the Ukraine.
In addition, that same Weekly Status Report listed 34 countries (including the US) as maintaining personnel in Iraq (as part of the Coalition, UNAMI, or NATO). The State Department reported that Fiji was contributing troops though UNAMI and that Hungary, Iceland, Slovenia, and Turkey were assisting with the NATO training mission. However, it is unclear whether Hungary actually maintained any forces in Iraq as part of NATO or UNAMI since its government announced the complete withdrawal of troops in December 2004.
In testimony before the Senate Armed Services committee on August 3, 2006, Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld described the coalition in Iraq as composed of 34 allies (plus the US).
As of June 13, 2006, MNF-I reported that 27 countries (including the US) maintained responsibility over the six major areas of Iraq. Since that time, Japan has withdrawn all of its forces from Iraq.
For the purposes of this tally, only countries that contribute troops as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom are counted.
Countries which had troops in or supported operations in Iraq at one point but have pulled out since: Nicaragua (Feb. 2004); Spain (late-Apr. 2004); Dominican Republic (early-May 2004); Honduras (late-May 2004); Philippines (~Jul. 19, 2004); Thailand (late-Aug. 2004); New Zealand (late Sep. 2004); Tonga (mid-Dec. 2004) Portugal (mid-Feb. 2005); The Netherlands (Mar. 2005); Hungary (Mar. 2005); Singapore (Mar. 2005); Norway (Oct. 2005); Ukraine (Dec. 2005); Japan (July 17, 2006); Italy (Nov. 2006); Slovakia (Jan 2007).
Countries planning to withdraw from Iraq: Poland had earlier claimed that it would withdraw all soldiers by the end of 2006. It however extended the mandate of its contingent through at least mid-2007. Denmark announced that it would withdraw its troop contingent by August 2007.
Countries which have recently reduced or are planning to reduce their troop commitment: South Korea is planning to withdraw up to 1000 soldiers by the end of 2006. Poland withdrew 700 soldiers in Feb. 2005. Between May 2005 and May 2006, the United Kingdom reduced the size of its contingent by 1,300. The United Kingdom also is planning to reduce significantly the size of its contingent by the end of 2007, with an initial reduction of 1,600 troops followed by an additional 500 troops by end of 2007. Countries supporting UNAMI: Fiji (150); Georgia (550)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_orbat_coalition.htm

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Better think of how you plan to send your girls to avoid having that title by your own admission when it's time.
If my kids want to enlist when they're 18, I'll support that choice, same for a military academy. It teaches some values that are good for later years. I'm not a hypocrite when it comes to serving my country, I'll still love my nation, I just loathe what is happening to it.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
You"loathe" what you hear and are to mired in leftists thought to crawl out from under to discover the truth.

Seek out reality rather than political rhetoric for the sake of gaining power and the fear and loathing will subside.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You"loathe" what you hear and are to mired in leftists thought to crawl out from under to discover the truth.

Seek out reality rather than political rhetoric for the sake of gaining power and the fear and loathing will subside.
I guess he missed the part where i said I love My nation.... Someone should paint black and yellow lines on his neck and install safety rails on his skull because his brain is a dangerous place to be... Someone call OSHA!!!!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Oh boy! la la lalalala lalalalala :wacko:

How was your relationship with your mommy????? :jackthread:
Why do you treat them as such? You allow no criticism of the current admin. even when it is deserved. Perhaps a quote by a great Conservative will remind you of what is right :

The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public
Teddy Roosevelt

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I don't doubt you "love your nation", you're just badly misled.....

Or acutely lacking mommys attention when young....
You have the badly misled part right, by both parties. As for the second accusation, I am noyt the one on here frothing at the mouth with anger on a daily basis, hence leading to an indication that you may not have been a well-fed Gerber baby.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts