Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please help. I'm having a problem with my new/used 2002 Aquasport w/Johnson 150 starting the engine. When it starts is runs fine. It's just getting the dang thing to fire at the boat dock.
Bulb is hard.
Use the choke some.
Takes 5minutes to start and might wear on the starter.
Any ideas out there.

Jonny
Gulf Shores
2002 Aquasport /150 Johnson

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
what kinda battery are you using? My 200 Yammie is hard to start in cold weather, and when I bought her she only had a single deep-cycle battery on-board, and it was tough to get her to fire up. I installed a battery switch and 2nd battery (marine starting battery) and now she starts fine. Still takes some turning over, but there was a big difference betw the amperage of the DC and the starting battery.

And once she starts, she's fine the rest of the day.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
If the battery is good (use hydrometer or load test) there should be no problem. Need to balance choke and fast idle control at helm when starting. Each engine is different. Try giving it a little gas with the fast idle control while hitting the choke intermittently until if fires. The fast idle should keep it running with an occassional hit on the choke for the first 30 seconds. No engine, except special applications - racing, should require more than one properly sized battery to start an engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! I have a dual battery setup now and it just take a long time to fire up. Maybe its the oil gummed up? I'll try the fast idle and choke. I was worried about flooding the engine.

Any other help?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Might be choking it too much and flooding it. I have the same problem, but I've been letting up on pushing the key in so much to choke it and it's been better. Mine also starts a lot easier with fresh spark plugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts