Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I decided to fish inside the Key Bridge Saturday. There was an abandoned boat tied up at the dock when we left. I took a picture of it when we returned. It still had the boat numbers on the side to trace it back to the owner . We got to the fishing spot around 6:10am I have a rocky shoreline with a deep drop off I like since it was dead low tide at 6:15am. I decided to throw top water since there was no tide running to get that reaction strike. My buddy was throwing a 5" pearl storm shad, at 79 years old he sits down and fishes so top water is not his thing. At 6:30 am I have a big hit on the top water plug, in the cooler is a fat 23 incher. I had my fish so I'm steering the boat around trying to let my buddy catch the next keeper. He's giving me h_ll the whole time saying, it doesn't matter who gets the fish as long as we get one. He gets a short at 18" around 7:15am then finally lands a 20" at 8:15am. Two keepers in the cooler so on time to look for some perch. Perch up north this time of the year are getting harder to find. We had to throw back a lot of smalls to put 8 nicer ones in the cooler.
The water temp was still 84 degrees, unbelievable for the beginning of September.
Water Plant Natural landscape Branch Tree Rectangle Nature Azure Organism Font Water Boat Plant Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Food Seafood Fish Cuisine Fish products Food Ingredient Animal product Recipe Cuisine

Mike

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Those filets look so good. A friend has been hounding me to stop filleting my fish and cook the whole. Said I was wasting flavor but can’t stand the look of a cooked fish eye, but I’m trust him and I’m gonna try tonight.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those filets look so good. A friend has been hounding me to stop filleting my fish and cook the whole. Said I was wasting flavor but can’t stand the look of a cooked fish eye, but I’m trust him and I’m gonna try tonight.
I fillet them so you don't have to deal with the bones. I can add flavor.

Mike

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I’m with ya. I hate the bones. Those filets look awesome
You hate the bones. Your not alone on that. I use to sell rock fish and hang out in a seafood market. We all laughed that people want fish with no bones and don't taste like fish. LOL!

·
Registered
14,330 Posts
Glad you got out and caught fish Mike. We caught 3 stripers today and I filleted 2 and am baking one whole. It does add flavor just like a bone in a steak!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
C and S,
I couldn’t do the whole fish thing today, but I’m interested in how yours turns out. You know your sh-it so I trust your opinion. I may need to start cooking whole, depending on what you say. Beautiful fish, by the way. Thanks for posting

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Mike,That Boat was there Friday when I came back in.Also a single axle Trailer in the Parking lot taking up 3 spaces. Nice Job on the Stripers.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike, no catfish in the cooler? Your buddy needs to get back on those catties.
Charlie,
I have a spot that I could fill the cooler with cats. I don't target them because I only get one or two requests for them. Most of the ones we get are hitting our perch lures.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts