Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a Proline 21 Sportsman with a 175 Johnson VRO. It is an 89. It is supposed to be well maintained. It has VHS Radio, Loran GPS, Depth/Fish Finder, 80 Gallon tank, fiber T-Top and leaning post. It has a galvanized roller trailer with power winch. I am a first time buyer and would appreciate any tips you could offer. Questions I should ask and things I should look for are most appreciated. If anyone could give me a price range in a good condition it would be helpful.
I have read some of the VRO motors have had troubles. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Just my opinion - if this is your first boat, unless you are extremely handy with motors and such, try to find something newer.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Just my opinion - if this is your first boat, unless you are extremely handy with motors and such, try to find something newer.
Ditto
Boat may be fine but motor is too old and will be thirsty unless you plan on repowering.
Also Johnson (OMC) is no longer manufacturing outboards, parts availability may be an issue soon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. If I have to put on a new power head it will add about 3-4K to the price it becomes overpriced. A new motor or a rebuilt one means I could buy a newer boat for less than this one. So I guess I'll pass and keep looking.

Are Proline boats themselves of good quality?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Never heard any negatives about ProLine quality or ride. One friend/owner commented about his 21'~ "......she's as wet on top as she is on the bottom...."!!!:yes:

budc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Love my 23 foot WA proline, but an 1989 VRO you are could be buying someones head ache, although they where good engines. Have the engine checked over real good prior to buying.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Being a first time Buyer.....WHATEVER Boat you have serious interest in........Have it surveyed!Spendin' a few Hundred may save you MANY thousands later and a sour taste for Boating.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ditto
Boat may be fine but motor is too old and will be thirsty unless you plan on repowering.
Also Johnson (OMC) is no longer manufacturing outboards, parts availability may be an issue soon
BRP (which bought OMC's assets ~ 2000) still supplies parts for all Johnson/Evinrude motors and as far as I know, has no plans to stop any time soon. I wouldn't be worried about parts support at all. As many know, BRP has continued the Evinrude brand (I own two recent vintage motors - 2007). No reason for concern on the parts score at all.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Being a first time Buyer.....WHATEVER Boat you have serious interest in........Have it surveyed!Spendin' a few Hundred may save you MANY thousands later and a sour taste for Boating.
Definitely Ditto!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
BRP (which bought OMC's assets ~ 2000) still supplies parts for all Johnson/Evinrude motors and as far as I know, has no plans to stop any time soon. I wouldn't be worried about parts support at all. As many know, BRP has continued the Evinrude brand (I own two recent vintage motors - 2007). No reason for concern on the parts score at all.
Wrong!

While BRP does support the Evinrude & Etec line from the time they took over,
BRP does not totally support all the parts for the old OMC line, there are now many parts for the OMC line that are listed as "discontinued" (no substitutes or superseded) including parts for the 175 that is described in this thread. I have had to scrap OMC outboards due to parts being"discontinued" on motors (OMC) that were less than 10 yrs old!!
if anyone is looking at an older OMC motors. parts availibility is an issue at this time,although many parts are still available, this needs to be considered when purchasing one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts