Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call this morning from local charter boat captain about 8:45 am. He told me he was anchored at one of my not favorite dive sites. Luckily - he did not have anchor hung up. He did have trouble though - he pulled up another anchor with his - wrapping old rode into prop.

He could idle boat but if over idle heard a TING of metal , thimble / chain ??? He was idling toward east shore ( smart ) in case prop jammed up. Other boats were on stand by ( smart ) in case of need. Stayed away from channel ( smart ).

I was not out fishing but was home and got dive gear from boat. Captain idled slowly to Mattapeake. Hope was I could get prop clear. Easy drive over to Mattapeake - drooling as bay looked calm.

Got to the ramp pier and boat was tied up. Got dive gear ready - mate and party helping me. Explained I could stay under two hours at this shallow depth. Would tap hull in threes if in trouble but really no concern. Went over to see if I could see / feel the line.

May be an image of 3 people and body of water

Once under stern - found rudder and was happy to be able to see about 6 to 12 inches. Does not sound like much but great to me. Could see a lot of line(s) plus piece of chain. Captain was wise to call a diver rather than try to run / free this mess.

Came up - told them what I found and took my knife under. This mess was too much for my EMS shears that I prefer. Knives can slip -shears to me much safer.

Cutting away at mess - and turning prop - got first bunch free. Brought it up and captain asked if that was all. I laughed - umm , no.

May be an image of 4 people and body of water

Back under and cut more away - I think one thinner line had been on shaft before today. Got all the lines freed then went to work on the mono fishing line captain had warned me about. The circle hooks made cutting tricky - shears made quick work of the lines. Brought that up and said - almost done. One last piece of mono and everything was clear.

Went back under to inspect prop for damage - just one shiny spot. Hull was OK - one quarter size clean spot - I'll assume chain tapped. Put knife against hull and tight against one blade - slowly turning to see the other 3 blades were in line. They were - so no visible bending.

Came up and traded knife for scrub brush - quick clean / inspect of shaft , rudder , etc and cleaned intake strainer.

Swam short distance to ramp and put dive tank on truck tail gate. Walked dock to see the lines - what a mess.

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of body of water

Party tossed me a beer - 10:45 am - why not ? lol Captain headed back out to hopefully catch rest of Rockfish limit. I got out of wet suit and drove to dive shop to get few tanks filled.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Covering the name of the boat. I once had to dive under my dads boat during a bluefish tournament at night at sandy point cause we picked up a pot. That was creepy. Mom, tied a rope around me and kept tugging on me while I was trying to cut rope off shaft.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Got a call this morning from local charter boat captain about 8:45 am. He told me he was anchored at one of my not favorite dive sites. Luckily - he did not have anchor hung up. He did have trouble though - he pulled up another anchor with his - wrapping old rode into prop.

He could idle boat but if over idle heard a TING of metal , thimble / chain ??? He was idling toward east shore ( smart ) in case prop jammed up. Other boats were on stand by ( smart ) in case of need. Stayed away from channel ( smart ).

I was not out fishing but was home and got dive gear from boat. Captain idled slowly to Mattapeake. Hope was I could get prop clear. Easy drive over to Mattapeake - drooling as bay looked calm.

Got to the ramp pier and boat was tied up. Got dive gear ready - mate and party helping me. Explained I could stay under two hours at this shallow depth. Would tap hull in threes if in trouble but really no concern. Went over to see if I could see / feel the line.

May be an image of 3 people and body of water

Once under stern - found rudder and was happy to be able to see about 6 to 12 inches. Does not sound like much but great to me. Could see a lot of line(s) plus piece of chain. Captain was wise to call a diver rather than try to run / free this mess.

Came up - told them what I found and took my knife under. This mess was too much for my EMS shears that I prefer. Knives can slip -shears to me much safer.

Cutting away at mess - and turning prop - got first bunch free. Brought it up and captain asked if that was all. I laughed - umm , no.

May be an image of 4 people and body of water

Back under and cut more away - I think one thinner line had been on shaft before today. Got all the lines freed then went to work on the mono fishing line captain had warned me about. The circle hooks made cutting tricky - shears made quick work of the lines. Brought that up and said - almost done. One last piece of mono and everything was clear.

Went back under to inspect prop for damage - just one shiny spot. Hull was OK - one quarter size clean spot - I'll assume chain tapped. Put knife against hull and tight against one blade - slowly turning to see the other 3 blades were in line. They were - so no visible bending.

Came up and traded knife for scrub brush - quick clean / inspect of shaft , rudder , etc and cleaned intake strainer.

Swam short distance to ramp and put dive tank on truck tail gate. Walked dock to see the lines - what a mess.

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of body of water

Party tossed me a beer - 10:45 am - why not ? lol Captain headed back out to hopefully catch rest of Rockfish limit. I got out of wet suit and drove to dive shop to get few tanks filled.
That charter boat captain is a good guy. I know him from his days owning his body shop in edgewater. Thanks for helping him Skip!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts