Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a boat and the prop must not have been tight (I know should have checked better), and on my test run it fell off. I spoke with a company on the phone to get help to figure out the size and pitch, but their advice led me to a new prop that doesn't even get the boat on plane.... Just looking for someone who knows their stuff about props and what not.

The boat is an old 20 ft hull with a small keel, with a slight v in the front. It has a 2001 Mercury 2 stroke 60. I know it won't be a speed demon but it moved pretty decent before the original prop fell off, and now it can't won't get past 10-12mph. Any help or pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

I can't figure out how to post the picture but can send it to someone if it would help.

Thanks a lot,
Tyler

·
Registered
84 Posts
Any mercury dealer should be able to help you there is a chart in the back of prop catalogue to recommend what prop to use. I am sure you can do it online as well .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I entered in my info on the Mercury site. The new prop I bought that is giving me poor performance is a 11.6x12 pitch and they have a 11.6x10.5. Would that make such a huge difference? They have multiple listed that's just one of them

·
Registered
141 Posts
www.iboats.com has inexpensive props. Look at the 3 blade Solas Amita. 60hp is not much for a 20' boat. I would think if it will not plane with a 12" pitch, it would still be overpropped with a 10.5. I see options ranging from 7" pitch to 16" pitch. I would think about an 8" or 9" pitch. This is assuming that the motor is running fine and its not a motor problem keeping you from getting up on plane.

Also adding inexpensive manual or self adjusting trim tabs may help you pop up on plane.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the boat is a little under powered but the old prop got it on plane alright, just wish I knew what it was. I was kind of thinking the 9 pitch or so as well.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Powertech props can hook you up. These guys are dealers for powertech.

HI-TECH MARINE SERVICES, INC.
http://www.hi-techmarineservices.com
[email protected]

810 BACKRIVER NECK ROAD
BALTIMORE - MARYLAND, 21221 USA

410-686-8858
fax - 410-780-9585

ROCK HALL PROPELLER
[email protected]

22589 HUDSON ROAD
ROCK HALL - MARYLAND, MD 21661 USA

410-778-6777