Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a new propeller for my outdrive. Not sure what size it is or how to measure. I have a stainless steel on there now. Has some dings in it. How do I measure to know the size? I keep reading about the angle or degrees of props,how do I determine that? It's a 3 blade on mercruiser 350. The boat is a 24ft searay deep v. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I want to buy a new propeller for my outdrive. Not sure what size it is or how to measure. I have a stainless steel on there now. Has some dings in it. How do I measure to know the size? I keep reading about the angle or degrees of props,how do I determine that? It's a 3 blade on mercruiser 350. The boat is a 24ft searay deep v. Thanks.
Send to Murphys prop shop. they will make it good as new for a whole lot less then a new prop.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Agree go to a prop shop. Yes they can fix the one you have or if you tell them you different handling, performance, MPG, speed, stern lift, etc they can usually recommend a better prop for your boat. Most will even let you try different ones until you find the one you are happy with. Size, type, number of blades, and pitch all make a difference.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Agree go to a prop shop. Yes they can fix the one you have or if you tell them you different handling, performance, MPG, speed, stern lift, etc they can usually recommend a better prop for your boat. Most will even let you try different ones until you find the one you are happy with. Size, type, number of blades, and pitch all make a difference.
Worked with Murphy's Prop Shop and they were really helpful.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
The size and pitch are normally stamped into the metal on the hub. Yours might have been painted over but should still be there.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Go to Wildcat propellers. They are the best. I was not happy with other. My performance went down after getting them worked on there.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Scruffydog, we get alot of these threads on TF and never hear back on what happened.In and effort to help others-- Have you decided on a move forward?

BTW, just some other info, I fished out of 2 different (mid/late 70's) sea-rays that were originally pleasure "cruise around" boats-stripped out to make them fishing Machines. I believe both had 14.5 by 17" props. Just a quick search of internet ( props recommended for 24 sea-ray) I found 14.5x17 to 14.5x19 for a overall generic recommended. I believe I tried a 19 pitch on my 25' (27? really) and switched back. Main reason for switching back was due to load I was carrying at that time-- generally 4 people or more. (one guy was nicknamed Bigboy)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts