Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I really want (NEED) to shoot another bird. My only bird a few yeras back was called in by two freinds. I do all the little things.....watch feilds, find were they've been dusting, scratching ect,ect. Roost them the night before or find them in the morning. Every day I hunted last year I had toms talking back but I kept screwing it up. The closest I came was a big tom and two hens cruising about 70yds out in a field. I almost postive I call too much. What is the standard routine (I know every bird/situation is differant)??? Get'm to gobble on the roost, wait to fly down and then??? Then I get all lost....purr, cluck, yelp, cut or shut up?

Thanks,
Anthony

·
Banned
859 Posts
I'm no expert, but in my experience. I use the Yellp and cutt to locate birds. Once located, depending on his interest in me, I'll just cluck and purr him into gun range. I like cutting, if he's hot and I love hearing them gobble. If he's henned up, I'll try to call the hens in with some intense yelping. None have been a sure thing, his mood changes on an hourly basis. When in doubt, stop calling. Alot of times he comes in if you shut up and leave him hanging. A good rule, after you located him and he answered your call is to sit back, relax and wait him out and only answer him when he gobbles.

·
Banned
859 Posts
....best advise is to be patient. If he answers you, he'll remember where you are almost to the tree and he'll come back for you later when the hens go to nest......around 10-11am.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Anthony
I let the bird dictate how I call. If He is answering me and coming in I keep quiet. If he hangs up I call back. Its hard to really give advice cause each situation is different. I call a lot more than most and move a lot if the birds hang up. I alos alternate from mouth cal to slate when working a bird to give him different sounds. My advice is to hunt with someone that knows what he is doing and let him let you do some of the calling. I have been hunting turkeys for 35 years and still screw it up like I did Saturday down in VA. Worked two birds for over an hour then got excited and shot to early when I should have let the birds come in. I live in S. MD if you ever want company let me know if you are not far away. Can't wait for MD season to come in. Had two jakes in behind the house this evening.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[Q]Richard Berkey originally wrote:
Did you try "here turkey, turkey.... heeeeer turkey turkey"? Sorry, I am bored. Everyone ignor me and please help anthony.
[/Q]

OH MY GOD, HE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!! Damn Rich, were have you been. A guy gets married and then doesn't hunt hardly anymore, no phone calls, no beer runs, no nothing. You still have rods and guns or did you have to sell them to buy wall paper and garden plants[grin]

·
Registered
128 Posts
[Q]h2oboss originally wrote:
You still have rods and guns or did you have to sell them to buy wall paper and garden plants[grin]
[/Q]
Basically.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO SAD [sad]

Lookin at you, now I know what a dog feels like when he gets "clipped". There's still hope for tough, you current situation is nothing a little trip to Annapolis can't cure[excited]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with tracker. Give the bird what he wants to here. I have called for 2 hours and got a blister on my mouth and other time a pur or two does the trick. One thing you must not do is over call to a bird stiil in the tree! If you keep talk'n to him in the tree he'll never come down!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Durado
Good point. Had that happen opening day last year. I hunted a little place with 5 acres. Had no plae to move once I set up. Called to a bird in the roost early knowing a guy was on the other adjoining property. Bird answered and when he came out of the tree he went the other way. I stayed put and listened as he got farther away. 45 minutes later I heard him coming back. Came to about 15 yards when I shot him. I am not usuallly that patient but due to the small track on land was forced to hunt that way. Another lesson learned.

·
Banned
859 Posts
.....Turkey have great eyesight, but only in daylight. They have no rods or cones, not sure what one it is...but it does not allow them to see good in the dark, which is why they (like chickens and other fowl roost up in trees at night, for safety). If you can't see well in the woods do to lack of light chances are he can't either and won't hit the ground until he can. The sound of his gobble as well as the time of morning should dictate when he's on the ground. He'll be louder in the tree and when he hits the ground he will be much quieter, due the the underbrush blocking sound. Now as the spring progresses and the leaves fill the trees, it will get harder to tell. If his gobble is moving around, chances are he's on the ground. He could also be in full strutt and facing away from you, making him sound further, but when he turns in your direction, his tail will act like a megaphone and you'll think "Holy Chit, he's right in front of me." There's nothing like having a bird full strutt 20 yds from ya and he lets loose and gobbles. Knocks the hat right off your head, and send chills up your spine. I LOVE THE SPRING!!!!!!!!!!![excited]

·
Registered
141 Posts
God bless turkey hunting and all turkey hunters. This is the most thrilling hunting there is....and at the same time can be the most frustrating. All the advice given is excellent advice. Experience is the best teacher. Everyone who gives advice has learned the hard way what to do and what not to do. You can hunt turkey for 40 years and you will still screw up from time to time. Thats why it's called hunting instead of killing. The best advice I heard was to team up with an experienced hunter and make him your best friend. After a few hunts you'll get a feel for the best decisions to make. Sit side by side against a tree when set up. You do the calling and let the experienced hunter coach you along. Just stay calm and patient. Like the old adage says....A turkey can hear you think and see you change your mind. I believe that with every ounce of my being. Good luck to all and put a gobbler down!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here's one more tip, but it's not about calling. When looking for a spot to set up, I consider the possibility of a turkey sneeking up from behind. I try to set up in a spot that looks very unappealing from behind me, since a turkey won't usually work their way through the real thick stuff. I say usually, but I once had a turkey stall about 60yds in front of me, because there was a 20 ft wide briar patch at the bottom of the hill. He was strutting back and forth until I used a Spit n' Drum call. He folded up his tail and sqeezed through them to get that other tom away from that hen! Anyways, if you do have one come in from behind you or in a direction that you can't get a shot off and they're in real close. You may want to consider calmly standing up and taking aim. I read that if it's not sudden, quick moves, a turkey will often first study you prior to taking off. After reading that, a couple days later, I had a tom come within 10 yds, right behind me. He was dragging his wings into the ground and spitting. (I had just finished doing some yelping and gobbling at my own yelps. Guess that got him a bit pissed.) I slowly stood up and drew my gun. For a second, he stuck his neck out and had a W.T.F look on his face and then he tried flying down the ravine. I shot him when he was about five feet off the ground and about 20 yds away. I've never had to take a lead on a bird before! [smile]

Mike

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to Monday! I think I'm starting to catch a cold. I surely wouldn't want to infect my co-workers[grin]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pete,
Not sure, depends on if I get an invite to my buddys farm in Dorchester. Otherwise I'll be in AA Cnty, I've got a small piece that has some birds. If I roost a few on Sunday I'll head there. Not nearly the amount of birds os Dorchester but at least I got a shot?

If I get REAL LUCKY a guy will drop out of this lease in Snow Hill and I'll get his spot, $200 deer/turkey, ect. We'll see?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts