Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The City Of Virginia Beach is proposing a boat tax increase in the new budget.

This is taken from an article in today's Virginian-Pilot.
ARTICLE: Beach tax plan includes lower rate; some look for more (The Virginian-Pilot - HamptonRoads.com/PilotOnline.com)

The proposed budget also raises the tax rate on boat owners from one-millionth of a penny to $1 per $100 of value.

The boat tax increase is expected to bring the city $1.1 million a year and should help pay for several dredging projects, said Catheryn Whitesell, the city's director of management services.

Dennis

·
Registered
783 Posts
To clarify the post above, this was briefed at the Virginia Beach City Council meeting last night (Tuesday). I spoke at the council meeting and mentioned that if this increased tax goes into effect, the city might see a major exodus of boats to cities that do not currently tax boats.

The result of this tax increase is pretty impressive. If you have a boat assesed at $100,000, currently you pay no property tax. If this rate increase passes, your tax will be $1,000.

Joe
His Doghouse Too

·
Registered
656 Posts
Virginia Beach needs new taxes, real estate going up 20 % is not enough. The City Fathers know that boats are not going to leave no matter what they do. You can bet they will tax boats all they can get away with.

Defeat this one at the polls.

Boats

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just another way for the city to bilk money out of the tax payers...$$$$
Home assessments up to unbelievable levels... $$$$$
Where does our saltwater fishing license money really go ??? Administrative costs ???$$$

IT"S TIME FOR THE BOSTON TEA PARTY 2 :nono:

b sea

·
Registered
832 Posts
Unless other cities join the beach's band wagon of taxing boats the marina's in Norfolk and Ptown will fill up fast just like years ago when the beach was the last to pull back the taxes on boats.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Obviously, no one on the city council owns a boat or has the :censored: to tell their counterparts they have their heads up their :censored: !
A day fishing,

registration
insurance
inspection on the trailer
Gas - taxed
Ice- taxed
bait- taxed
fishing gear- taxed
snacks-taxed
hotel (out of town) taxed
breakfast- taxed
boat ramp-paid by personal property tax
fishing license (NC & VA)
and now................boat tax.
:soapbox:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just checked the Norfolk website. Their tax rate is one penny per $100 of boat value. If this Virginia Beach change takes effect, I may have to relocate.
They will follow soon. P-town just jacked theirs and now that OV is a cash cow, the bandwagon has plenty of room for riders.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Tax is coming

The cities of Portsmouth, Norfolk and Va Beach have been talking about this for years. But one city is afraid that the other would not follow thru with putting a tax in place. I don't see anything wrong with a reasonable rate, they tax everything else. The first rule of boating is if you have to ask "how much?" you don't need a boat.

·
Registered
440 Posts
ditto on the boston tea party2. v.a. just bleeds people to death with taxes and fees ... a lot of us here have old boats w/ new motors, and old trucks with new drive trains because of the taxes .. just cant seem to understand why politicians think they can just raise taxes and the average joe working 2 or three jobs just to make ends meet and have a little pleasure in thier lives like boating/ fishing will be able to live.. people will start leaving this area because of the high taxes and low wages. i say have 1 tax. have a sales tax of a house, car, boat etc at the time of purchase and thats it... then if and when they decide to move then tax them on the asssed value of the home.... california does it...

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
I don't feel sorry for ya'll, we've ben paying boat taxes in NN and York Co. and Gloucester forever. :yawn: Time that VB catches up.:whistlingatu:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts