Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at BPS a few days ago and noticed one for $1000, including the rudder. I had a 10% off coupon, which would have made it $900. I thought that was a really good price, considering it came with a rudder. I didn't buy it. Wanted to come home and do a little more research first. Is a rudder really necessary? What will it do for me? A rudder alone retails for like $200ish.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sounds like a good price.

I think a rudder is necessary for a 15' kayak. It makes it easier to maneuver the kayak. You probably don't need it on 12' kayak. However, once you have used a kayak with a rudder then you will want one regardless of kayak size. It helps control your drift direction while drift fishing. You don't have to pick up your paddle if you find it necessary to make slight direction adjustments while fishing around piers or bridge pilings.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Also agree on the rudder... you don't NEED it, but you'll think you do after the first time you use a yak with one. Rudders forgive bad technique, and they enhace what you can do with good technique. As Rod said... they greatly enhance control while drifting in current or wind and they help with turning a long yak that tracks well... they also help with tracking straight in a short yak that wants to snake through the water with each alternating paddle stroke.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? The P15 has been criticized for having wet footwells in all but the lightest paddlers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts