Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fishing buddy and I left the ramp at Harbor Hospital Saturday at 6am. The tide was already out as high was at 3:30am. This is the 1st time the boat has been out since the vro pump was taken off. The boat started ok after a few pumps on the choke. It smoked a little at first, I was told by Denny at South Shore it would smoke a little until the excess oil in the engine was burnt off. By the time we took off it was running smoke free, yeah.
We ran across river to Curtis creek and all the way noticed the water was brown tea colored. There must have been an algae bloom. I don't usually see this until later in the year, but we haven't had any rain lately. We geared up for perch fishing only as stripers are still off limits until June 1st. We saw 3 boat with trolling rods, one boat was about 26' with 8 lines out the back. We stuck to the rocky and grassy shorelines with very poor catches of only 20 some perch, all in the 4" to 6" range. Throwing mepps spinners on the low tide was difficult with many snags on the bottom. I did hit this nice 10lb channel cat which was released. Maybe a couple weeks things will improve, hope the water clears up.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
My fishing buddy and I left the ramp at Harbor Hospital Saturday at 6am. The tide was already out as high was at 3:30am. This is the 1st time the boat has been out since the vro pump was taken off. The boat started ok after a few pumps on the choke. It smoked a little at first, I was told by Denny at South Shore it would smoke a little until the excess oil in the engine was burnt off. By the time we took off it was running smoke free, yeah.
We ran across river to Curtis creek and all the way noticed the water was brown tea colored. There must have been an algae bloom. I don't usually see this until later in the year, but we haven't had any rain lately. We geared up for perch fishing only as stripers are still off limits until June 1st. We saw 3 boat with trolling rods, one boat was about 26' with 8 lines out the back. We stuck to the rocky and grassy shorelines with very poor catches of only 20 some perch, all in the 4" to 6" range. Throwing mepps spinners on the low tide was difficult with many snags on the bottom. I did hit this nice 10lb channel cat which was released. Maybe a couple weeks things will improve, hope the water clears up.

Mike
Mike, I think it's the very low tides all week. I had to move out to about12'of water and still only put 13 in the bucket. Tide looked good this morning. Fishing was OK for me this morning. Pan fishing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts