Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing the rips at the Power Plant Saturday with J.L. Gannon and Bob McDonald. Caught a small puppy drum, kind of surprised anybody else catch one? Finished the day with six just over rock while LTJ there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Very cool catch :thumbup: - neat surprise to see.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Wow! We had Croaker in the area until mid-September, and puppy drum in the area now. Can anyone explain these occurrances?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Nice catch and photo! Although its unusual, other tidalfishermen have occassionally reported catching reds and even specs there--Fritzer has posted some pics of them in the past.

Seems like its getting late in the season for reds to be that far north in the Bay, but who knows, especially at a warm water discharge? There were a lot of small reds caught this year in the western shore rivers, there were also a lot of small reds caught in 2002.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
It's always a nice surprise to catch them up here, but seems that more and more are showing up all over the place. Keep in mind that the bays are the nursery for pups, so maybe we'll develope a real fishery for them sooon.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
There were a ton of reds in the bay this year. I caught a few without even trying. People who targeted them at channel mouths, like the mouth of St Jeromes Creek, and the cut at St Georges Island and such really knocked their socks off.

Thyey are probably in there getting a final shot of warmth before heading home south.

FWIW the MD DNR lists any size red drum as a citation. I expect that to change in the near future, but for now you should be able to get whatever Maryland gives you for a citation for catching it.

We caught a few bigger ones close to Christmas at the CBBT last year.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I think we got 4 over two days this weekend. We also got some this time last year in that area along with some specs. We targeted them by switching to small pink twister tails and half ounce jig heads dragging them easy across the gravels in the slower current.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Its great to see Redfish expanding their territory. Could it be that the regulations to "save" them is having the effect of increasing the population so much that they are spreading out far and wide ???

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Chief...you better watch yourself fishing with that bunch....get a bad "rep"....:D
Those are some good Ol' boys there...fish with them all of the time....JL's the one that got me into fishing so I figured he has cost me around 100K......:helpsmilie:
Nice fish BTW...

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
---Red Drum have always been a bay fish , but because of the Stringent Size limits they have never been a Targeted Species -It is heart breaking to return a 30# plus fish a Charter Angler has caught --Maryland needs to review its size limit with the Controlling ASMFC this spring --geo.

·
Registered
556 Posts
---Red Drum have always been a bay fish , but because of the Stringent Size limits they have never been a Targeted Species -It is heart breaking to return a 30# plus fish a Charter Angler has caught --Maryland needs to review its size limit with the Controlling ASMFC this spring --geo.
Its because of the stringent size limits that the Redfish have made such a dramatic come-back from being "wiped-out" back in the late 80's.

It's too bad that we don't treat all other species in the same way.....

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I think the ucrrent limits, and their similar restrictions down the coast are what is driving the recovery. I wonder what the populations were in the middle bay 100 years ago?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
To build on what Ken and Paxfish have said, both red drum and striped bass have been fully protected in the US EEZ (no harvest or catch and release allowed outside of state waters) for many years. Also most of the SE states do not allow commercial harvest of reds and they protect larger fish by allowing recs to harvest mostly slot fish.

I believe we are seeing the payoff of strong long-term conservation measures in the form of a much healthier population of reds in MD waters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts