Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand DNR had some problems with whirling disease this year that delayed stocking some of the local ponds and lakes. Has anyone tried the trout this season?

I'm just getting used to the other boards on Tidalfish. I posted the question above on the Chesapeake Angler Board and then realized that there was a Freshwater board.

Are the trout there? Are they biting? What's the best way to catch them?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Yes, they are there. I can see them swimming around with my polarized glasses. Are they biting, not sure, I haven't tried. Not sure what the 'best' way to catch them, but a popular way is light spinning rod with berkley bait (they look like neon colored mini marshmallows). Or use spinners like panther martin, mepps, rooster tails in sixteenth size.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Yes, everywhere on the stocking chart has been stocked. There are a lot of browns this year, I guess they got those fish from somewhere else.

Check the DNR website Maryland DNR's Fisheries Service Home Page for up to date stocking info.

MD got a lot of fish donated from other states and in some cases they were very big fish, much larger than what we are typically used to.

Opening day should be interesting but there are plenty of fish. I'll probably catch some trout in the morning and then go for muskie afterwards.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Riverdance,
I've been 3 times now since the March 1st stockings in PG CO.
The first 2 times I had my limit in less than 3 hours, I was humbled on my last trip March 28 with one keeper and one short trout. So far I've only caught one nice Golden Rainbow
They are really pretty. Since I no longer own a boat I fish from the bank.
The method I've been successful with is to use Burkley Gulp and Salmon Egg combo on a Carolina Rig with 1/16 wt or split shot and a #8 Salmon Egg hook with lite line 4-6 lb.
My problem is most of the fish swallow the hook due to the use of such small hooks and culling is not an option.
Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Patuxent River-Laurel

Arrived at the Patuxent River off of Main Street in Laurel this morning around 7:00am.
The river was already crowded with fisherman, so we kept walking north, about a hundred yards past the bridge and found what looked like some good pools. The two of us caught nine trout, (four browns and five rainbows), within two hours. Five of the fish were all around 10" in size, with the three largest being around 16-17", (definitely bigger than anything we caught here last year). Most of the people using Powerbait were having a tough time catching fish. We switched from Powerbait to 1/6 and 1/4 oz. Panther Martins, (black w/ gold blade, and yellow, w/orange blade), and immediately began catching trout. About half the fish were caught by casting upstream and retrieving quickly with the current. The other half were had by casting across current, letting the line go slack for a few seconds to get depth, and then using a slight pumping motion on retrieve to keep the lure down in the water.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Arrived at the Patuxent River off of Main Street in Laurel this morning around 7:00am.
The river was already crowded with fisherman, so we kept walking north, about a hundred yards past the bridge and found what looked like some good pools. The two of us caught nine trout, (four browns and five rainbows), within two hours. Five of the fish were all around 10" in size, with the three largest being around 16-17", (definitely bigger than anything we caught here last year). Most of the people using Powerbait were having a tough time catching fish. We switched from Powerbait to 1/6 and 1/4 oz. Panther Martins, (black w/ gold blade, and yellow, w/orange blade), and immediately began catching trout. About half the fish were caught by casting upstream and retrieving quickly with the current. The other half were had by casting across current, letting the line go slack for a few seconds to get depth, and then using a slight pumping motion on retrieve to keep the lure down in the water.
M,
Help me out here in reviewing the Closed area dates on the stocking schedule I see Pax River in Laurel as closed from March 11 -31 & again from April 15 -21.
Am I reading this incorrectly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Capt. Dale,
You're reading that right. They do that second stocking of trout every year. I guess the logic is that many of the trout get caught during the first, open period and they want to maximize everyone's chances of having the opportunity to catch some. In my experience, most of the rivers see big crowds of fisherman in the early morning hours of opening day, and only a handful of people after that. Many times I have been able to go out on Sunday, or the following weekend and still have great catches, with few or no other fisherman around. I used to always hit Severn Run on opening day, but it started getting ridiculously crowded the past few years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts