Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a good day weather wise and no work wise for me to trailer out. Got to the ramp at 6:30 and in the water and on our way by 7am. Had my buddy Neil and Tfer Gscott. Got down near Pt No Pt. and put in the lines with a ton of bait on the screen. Took about 30min to get my 8 lines out (I make my leaders as I go each time). Found myself a little west of the channal, I snaked back and as soon as we hit 50ft the far board rod snaps the rubberband and FISH ON!!! Fish hit a single white bucktail with a twister tail. I am driving and think everything is OK, when Neil says hey I see your backing. Oh No... The drag was a little loose so we backed down on that and had to slow the boat a lot.
[/URL][/IMG]

A fw minuted later we land a fat 38inch fish (by my measurement)
[/URL][/IMG]

Then we have a little lull in the action. We marked huge bait balls so large that my depthfinder gave us erroneous depths marking th fish. No bites though. Found we had acouple of tangles. I assume from my dramatic slow down to land the previous fish. After an hour of so I used the Restroom (off the back) and of course the rod next to me fires off. It is the 28oz Mjos with the #11 Silver CA spoon. I put things away and grab the rod. After 5 minutes the fish spat the hook and all that is left is to wash the enginge cover form the mess I made a few minutes before. Aboute 30 minutes later after we had tracked north a nother board rod with Chartruse tandem 8oz/2oz goes off. The drag was set well, but this was a big fish. Greg landed the boat record (45.5inches!!) at Bunky's weigh station. (42 by me, seems I am measuring the fish to the fork of the tail not folding the tail as I am suppsosed to)
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Got a little slolw again. Just as we are about to get the lines in another board rod goes off. This one a white tandem. On the spinning rod again, but the drag is good. Land a nice 38incher (again by my old technique). Landed it and got rods in, and headed in. Met another group ofs successful TFers at the ramp. Nice Quality if not quanitity, and a BOAT RECORD!!! from Greg!
[/URL][/IMG]

All in all a great day. With good company. Nice to meet Greg.

Jim

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Sorry here are the pics that did not come thru

Neil at the backing

[
Gregs big fish and the boat record!!!
My final fish of the day.[And the final talley.
[
Also If anybody has some advice? I had a few tangles toady with by board rods. I did not have any I can remember this spring. Is it the trolling speed? The length out of the lines? Are perhaps too tight turns? I put the lightest lure, the farthest to the board but the closeset to the back of the boat. Is this right?

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Looks like you guys had a great day. Those are some nice fish.

I haven't seen your boat in the lot for awhile have you moved her out?

Nice pics too BTW.

-JB

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I brought her back home for the winter to get her cleaned up, not expecting to get out much, but the fishing has been too good to pass up.

Jim

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you are right. We got it near the backing b/c I had the drag set too loose. It is aPenn7500 reel, that I use trolling and have had for a long time. It has a good amount of 50lb Powerpro and I never had that happen on that fairly heavy rod/reel before. The drag was not set right though.

jim

·
Registered
160 Posts
Outstanding

It really was an awesome day.
I really enjoyed fishing with Jim and Neil and the wether really worked out for us.
It was a nice day to be on the water, good company and I learned quite a bit about setting out planers. Thanks for that Jim.
I will get started building some planers as soon as I find the specifications.
The fact that I reeled in my biggest Rockfish was a real bonus.
I felt guilty having been the one to bring it to the boat. Thanks for boating it Jim.
I think you need a bigger net.:D

I hope to fish with you guys again soon.

GScott

·
Registered
963 Posts
Jim, Great Job,
It looks like you have really gotten the feel of everything.
That must have been a pretty long day for you.
John

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
Great catching :clapping2:.

As far as board lines getting tangled.It could be a bait fish gets snagged and then spins into another line.

Setting the lines out when in a turn can cause trouble.

Line length not set correctly.

Since you put a light one out farthest- be sure it is out more.

I like 100 feet for the far lure- then I work in in 10 or 20 feet.Next one is 80' /etc.

Tangles happen sometimes - my guess is slowing and turning while fighting the bog fish :yes:.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Nice report/pics ! Looks like a lot of good pullage!! What a day! That reel does look like its down to the knot!
As a side, (I'm so jealous of you guys who get to to out in this beautiful weather during the week)

Oh and, Hey Mike - good eye! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John: It was a long day, but well worth it. The weather was just amazing.

Macaroni: Wish I could have stayed longer. I had to get back to meet our sitter as my wife worked late and I kinda stole a day off on the water. That how it always is, just as I get off the water the fishing heats up.

Skip: Thanks as always for the advise, I think the bait idea and my slowing hurt me on tangles, I'll try and also watch a little better the length I put the baits behind the boat.

Looks like Rockfish for dinner again.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.