Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a new net that I would like to have for a long time. I currently use my grandfathers that is 50 years old and it has finally kicked the bucket. I have only seen a few nets around...a large catfish net at bass pro $42.50 but it doesn't seem very sturdy. For the price, it might not be a bad option, but I thought i'd ask the experts before purchasing. I've heard good things about Stow-master...

Any local shops carry nice large trophy nets? I will be fishing solomons tomorrow and I live near towson so any tackle shops between solomons and the susquehanna are not out of the question. THANKS

I think this topic has come up a few times but I couldn't find the threads, sorry to bring it up again.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
This is a timely question Dave. I lost an apx 40"er due to the 60lb leader snapping as I was pulling my last fish of the year over the side of the boat. This happenen late in the day, the day before I was scheduled to pull my boat out for the year! What a horrible way to end the season!!! I have decided to get a large sturdy net for Spring Trophy season so that doesn't happen again!! I know Skip has a nice big net with an aluminum handle that has a beefy aluminum connector. I would love to know what model that is!

Mark

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Dave; I know I have posted this before; but you might just consider a boga grip (or substitute). Because I run 12 rods off my boat, it seems that the net always gets in the way. Either the netting gets caught on a rod handle or three guys run to the same side of the boat (one to fight the fish, one to leader in the fish, and one to net the fish), or sombody tries to lift the net improperly and it bends with a 44 inch fish. With the boga grip, one person fights the fish and the guy who leaders it in also grips it. I haven't lost a fish yet since I switched over from netting. One of my friends has a net so big on his boat that when your netting on one side of the boat, the long handle hits the rods on the OTHER side of the boat. I have the LARGE rappala grip with built in scale and it does a nice job. Ask for one this Christmas and try it out during the C/R season next March/April. Best of luck, 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Frabill makes a nice net!!! I got mine from JJ's Tackle @ $80 each. I have one for Trophy season....it's big enuff to put a body in!!! Got another smaller one for all "other" fishing.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave; I know I have posted this before; but you might just consider a boga grip (or substitute). Because I run 12 rods off my boat, it seems that the net always gets in the way. Either the netting gets caught on a rod handle or three guys run to the same side of the boat (one to fight the fish, one to leader in the fish, and one to net the fish), or sombody tries to lift the net improperly and it bends with a 44 inch fish. With the boga grip, one person fights the fish and the guy who leaders it in also grips it. I haven't lost a fish yet since I switched over from netting. One of my friends has a net so big on his boat that when your netting on one side of the boat, the long handle hits the rods on the OTHER side of the boat. I have the LARGE rappala grip with built in scale and it does a nice job. Ask for one this Christmas and try it out during the C/R season next March/April. Best of luck, 5th (Marty)
Marty, I do have a a 60lb boga grip and I love it for catch and release season. I feel you on the huge net being a pain in the rear. Most of my catch and release is done on the susky flats so I haven't ever tried using the boga on the main bay. I'll bring it tomorrow and give it a shot. Thanks

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a timely question Dave. I lost an apx 40"er due to the 60lb leader snapping as I was pulling my last fish of the year over the side of the boat. This happenen late in the day, the day before I was scheduled to pull my boat out for the year! What a horrible way to end the season!!! I have decided to get a large sturdy net for Spring Trophy season so that doesn't happen again!! I know Skip has a nice big net with an aluminum handle that has a beefy aluminum connector. I would love to know what model that is!

Mark
Going out with Skip next friday, I'll take a peak and see what he's using;-)

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
The standard is a Frabill 32"x41" PowerCatch Landing Net. Available at most tackle shops that cater to the Bay fisherman.

BPS does not carry them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.