Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I'd like to thank andypat for the suggestion to fish Queens Town Creek. I thought I'd give it a shot, and since I had read here about pickerel before, I was curious. Got there while the tide was still up, and the striper bite was good - one at 24", 23" and 20", and six more decent but sub-legal ones. The yellow perch bite was on, caught 4 and two were right at 13", very nice and fat. Others were chasing.

I was very surprised when a pickerel finally hit, measured it at 22" and it made my day. After having to relaunch my kayak yesterday at Bogles Wharf, fighting the wind, todays conditions were just about perfect for this time of the year.

I had one problem however, as the regular ramp is closed and I drove to the end of Second St. where there was a small bank with a very tiny creek flow where I could slip my kayak into. It was quite mucky, and at the end of the day at low tide, it was all mud and I sank up to my knees trying to get my kayak on to the bank. Took quite a bit of effort to get one leg out as it really had a hold on me, put my leg on the back of my kayak and pull the other leg out and push the kayak across the mud. There is mud everywhere now on my kayak and accessories, but in the end it was all worth it.

I talked to someone at the boat slip there who said they are doing some construction and the ramp has been closed but should be open next year. That will probably be it for me this year as that's a 3 hour trip from Pa, but I love that area, can't be beat. Thanks again for all the good advice.

Fishnmusicn

Attachments

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
You made my day. I feel like I fished Queen's Town Creek with you. You probably got the rock/stripers out side of the creek along the shore. If you fish the creek in spring, summer, or fall there is pretty good white perch fishing in the creek around fallen trees in the water. I used beetle spin type lures and little 1/8 jigs with little curl tails, or light shad darts. Also fish outside of the creek, along the shore to your right as you come out of creek in the spring. Look out for the nets that will be out there. Glad to hear you did catch one of them pickerel. No one believed me when I told them there were some pretty large pickerel in that creek. I used a Mepps Spinner for the pickerel. You have a lot of good fishing on that side of river. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your welcome, I'll get back there and hope they get that ramp fixed - will have to come up with another launch spot if not. I went all the way back to the dead end of the creek and fished a lot of the trees in the water but nothing there. The first spot you mentioned was outstanding. I noticed on the map that the creek itself stretches upstream quite a ways and I would imagine there would be more pickerel along the way. Other than Eastern Neck the one day where I got 2 25 inchers, that was the best trip that matched right up. I'll be exploring many Eastern Shore gems as I get to know the area, driving be damned, lol. Eastern Neck will always hold a special place for me, but if I launch bayside I'm right on top of the breakwalls where I've done well on the Bay and it's a short paddle into the river mouth. For that trip I'll take my 14 ft sit on top, will handle the Bay better and get me there faster. Glad you enjoyed this report, and I look forward to explore some more.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
For some reason this post makes me happy. It's what TF was always about. Good for you sharing and good for you catching! Great post.

-Evans

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a great community to learn from and if you're a decent fisherman, you can put it to good use. It was a banner day for me and I'm very grateful. Anything I can share to help I will do as well.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Great report! Very positive and exciting to boot! Andy...lots of us are glad you returned to Md.! We have to meet up sometime

Chuck

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
For some reason this post makes me happy. It's what TF was always about. Good for you sharing and good for you catching! Great post.

-Evans
Thank you, I have been on other fishing sites where some fisherman don't like it when you share an area. But that was in FL. Too many people in FL. I like this fishing site so far. PS going crappie hunting this morning in a little while. Just killing time now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a sit on top, MinnKota predator XL. It was ok for ponds/ rivers. Got tired of the same problem your having, access to far from fish. Bought a Solo Skiff. Put a 5 hp 2 stroke Nissan and an 18 lb Water Snake trolling motor on it. Runs at 15 mph to get me fishing faster. Once I get there it fishes like a kayak only better.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a sit on top, MinnKota predator XL. It was ok for ponds/ rivers. Got tired of the same problem your having, access to far from fish. Bought a Solo Skiff. Put a 5 hp 2 stroke Nissan and an 18 lb Water Snake trolling motor on it. Runs at 15 mph to get me fishing faster. Once I get there it fishes like a kayak only better.
Nice setup. Once I get to know some spots that produce I don't mind paddling that much, but you have a leg up there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts