Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that if you switch from drum brakes to disc brakes, you can "adapt" the actuator if you puncture the restricting hole in the cylinder that pressures the brakes. Question is: if you have done that and you go back to drum brakes, will the actuator still be effective on the drum brakes? I'm not talking long term, but I need a quick fix to get a trailer from here to there a couple of time until I do a major upgrade (probably a new trailer).

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I believe the answer is no but to be sure call the folks at Portsmouth Trailer Sales @ 757-487-2934

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
The answer is, in fact, no. Drum brakes require a residual pressure on them of about 10 -12 psi from what I understand for them to operate properly and the reason you are puncturing the diaphram in the master cyclinder on the trailer is to get rid of this pressure. Thjis 10 -12 psi will cause the pads on the disc brakes to constantly be applied and will over heat the discs.

Puncturing the diaphram requires a little more pressure on the awl than most people think. If you didn't get the diaphram punched correctly, then your disc brakes will be very hot in a short while. Disc brakes are normally hotter than the drum and can be functioning fine, but you still cannot touch the hubs because they could be as hot as a 150 degrees or so.

Anyway, putting a hole in the diaphram ruins the master cylinder as far as using it for drum brakes again............. but then after having made the conversion myself about a year or so ago my question is Why would you want to?? [excited]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Sandtiger, that makes sense. I was just grasping at straws. This has to do with that disaster of a trailer I need to seriously upgrade or get a new one. It got worse yesterday when my Powerwinch litterly caught fire. I need to get the boat to a service place which, by the way, also sells trailers. I thought I could take it for service, get them to see the boat and quote me a trailer for it, and maybe leave with one later. Problem is the current trailer has a bad actuator for the drum brakes and doesn't work. I have an old actuator that I picked up cheap from a guy that supposidly had the diaphram punctured to be used with disc brakes in my anticipation of going that way. Thought that would be better than nothing. I'll probably just drive it in with no brakes (yikes!)

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Wow! I'd be careful because I'd bet if you get into an accident and it's found out you don't have brakes, it would probably become your fault.

BTW, I'm off Yorktown Rd.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts