Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Rudee tue. evening and did not have much luck. Lots of Blues around but they would not hit anything I had. I've been using Fire Line tied directly to my lures. Would I be better off with a mono leader? The water was pretty clear. I talked to a couple of people that said they were not catching much either so maybe it was not the Fire Line. Any body got advice on leader material ?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah, you should always use a mono or flourocarbon leader. I personally feel like you can never go wrong with the lightest # test leader you can catch your target fish on. People say specks won't touch anything over 6lb test. I have caught them with 10# but they weren't real picky that day. If you are fishing in a bluefish blitz or HRBT striper bonanza you can tie your lure directly to the Fireline and be ok. I started making a habit of always using a leader last year. It also is easier to tie on new stuff if you want to change or you get bit off.

Just make sure you have a net or gaff if you go real light on your leader or you will loose alot of fish bringing them in the boat.

Tom

·
Registered
253 Posts
You have to use a mono leader...no way around it. Fireline isn't abrasion resistant, so you need a leader for that. You also need a leader so you got something to hold onto when landing a fish. The fireline will cut right through you. And Fireline has the ability to find it way through a split ring.

You should also use a mono backing because the fireline will slide around the spool.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have had blues cut through the 20lb fire line in rudee. I switched to 30lb mono leader which has been working fine for me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have caught a lot of 8# or better specks and most were on 25# or 30# hybrid or flouro leader tied into PowerPro. I catch most of them laying in or around oyster and beef up my leaders so that if they run into the oysters I don't get cut off. That is also in Texas in gin clear water so if they are not leader shy in that water I doubt they are here. I also caught a buttload on the fly last year with 20# tippet. I don't think you have to go that light to catch specks, if you do I have been one luck mofo for the last several years.
Chad

·
Registered
575 Posts
Glad to hear that from someone who has caught some, I'll start using a stronger leader. I don't like losing stuff either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts