Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm pretty new to this board. I'm just moving back to the area from Southern Mississippi and purchasing a boat to replace the one I sold this summer.

Im buying a new boat, 28 Albemarle. I live in Woodbrige, Va. As I understand it Prince William County does not charge personal property tax on boats. All I will have to pay is the 2% sales tax? I plan to dock the boat in Norfolk, Va. Do I have to pay the personal property tax there (i assume I would) and does anyone know what the rate is? Can I just play dumb until they catch me??? :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. If its only 25 bucks then that's not all too bad. I didn't know if was some percentage of sale price or something like that. Not near as much as it is for cars!

·
Registered
610 Posts
i maybe wrong but i think they get you when you register a trailer. i never paid personal tax on my boat i did pay sales tax but i was told they stick it to you when you register the trailer i never had a trailer with the last boat

toby

·
Registered
397 Posts
I wish I could find a way around P.P. taxes in Stafford. My 1999 Sportcraft is almost $600.00 A YEAR :eek: !!!!!!!!!!! :mad: I sure am glad I didn't buy a new boat when I got this one a year and a half ago. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, the trailer is another 175.00 because it's a 2006.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I know some people with big boats that have slips in Hampton so they don't have to pay Smithfield/Isle of Wight PP taxes. Meaning it's cheaper to own a slip all year over there then pay PP taxes to the county. This has been a hot county topic as people have tried to justify eliminating the boat tax by saying keeping bigger boats around here would bring more travel, boating and attract owners (Richmond good ex.) that could pay to keeps boats in Smithfield instead of Norfolk or VB. I pay enough taxes and have to say i'd like to see the boat tax gone in Isle of Wight like our neighboring cities.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Daily Press (newspaper) had several editorials this year saying Hampton's no PP tax on boats was just a tax break for the rich and brought in no additional revenue. I don't no what they based that opinion on. I kept my boat in Hampton because of the lack of PP tax (and the great fishing!). I would have moved it to a no tax city if they started to have PP tax.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
First of all, a major CONGRATULATIONS on the new Albe.

Where in Norfolk are you going to keep her? Taylor's Landing?

Norfolk, and the other contiguous cities, all charge a very low PPT rate on boats. They all lowered it when Portsmouth did a few years ago, so they wouldn't lose their boats, and associated income, to Portsmouth. Now the cities are missing that income stream (from us rich boat owners) and may all get together to increase the rates again.

Our boat is berthed in our slip in Norfolk. I pay $25 a year.

Brian

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OCNSLR: Thanks, it's a big step up from my 23 Regulator. Yes I'm planning on Taylor's Landing. When I was younger my Dad kept our Parker there and we always liked it. It's changed quite a bit since those days!

I have considered Hampton as well. I was just afraid that would add quite a bit of time to an offshore run. I guess in reality its' around 30 mins or so extra???

Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
There is NO boat tax in Hampton and although discussed at a CityCouncil Meeting a month ago, The aruguments from all, and there were lots, who spoke against re-instating a boat tax were good arguments . I think you will hear no more of a PP boat tax in Hampton for a long time.

BobAllen, Hampton, Va...

By the way slip fees are not very high over here and one is very close to the CBBT and the ocean. I have kept a boat in Salt Ponds Marina for 15 years and for 10 years in the Hampton River before moving to the Salt Ponds Marina.

Oh, I almost forgot....One does not have to fight tunnel traffic if he keeps his boat in tax, free, Hampton,

Call Cinty Hawkins at Salt Ponds for availability 1-757-850-4300

or consider Bell Island Marina or Dandy Haven(speak to Leslie at Dandy Haven)..those marinas are the same distance from CBBT and only a mile north of Salt Ponds Marina ...all in tax-free hampton.

RBA

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
OCNSLR: Thanks, it's a big step up from my 23 Regulator. Yes I'm planning on Taylor's Landing. When I was younger my Dad kept our Parker there and we always liked it. It's changed quite a bit since those days!

I have considered Hampton as well. I was just afraid that would add quite a bit of time to an offshore run. I guess in reality its' around 30 mins or so extra???

Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate it.
Yes, it has changed a lot. We are across the street. Cathy and I were the first residents in Harbor Walk - purchased the smallest condo and the largest boat slip... :D

Bob Allen is correct about the tunnel traffic. While I love it here in the Little Creek area, you would have to drive further to get to the boat and back north.

As to the 30-minutes, that is probably pretty close. The distance from Hampton Creek over the HRBT, between the 1st-2nd islands of the CBBT and out to the Demarcation Line is about 9nm longer than the route from Little Creek. It's a bit shorter for me, as I can leave LCrk and head out under the CBBT at the SBC - depends on what type of outriggers you put on that Albemarle.

Let me know when you are coming down, and we can have a beer or two at SurfRider.

Brian

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. on Hampton I may have to look into that a little more. I know the tunnel traffic can be a pain. We fought that for a few years driving from portsmouth out to Taylor's. Not a bad drive otherwise. Anyone know anything about Blue Water Marina in Hampton?

Ocnslr, the boat has tower and lee sr outriggers. I'm not too confident it will make it under the bridge! I'll let you know when the boat finally makes it down there. With all this cold weather it may be a while before I can sea trial and finalize everything. Hopefully the cold snap will break soon!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hampton is the best. Fact is, right at the HRbT, it is only 8 miles to the second Island, that should give you referance for offshore. It is no prob.

Hampton has everythin, right in the river, haul outs, marinas, gas, fish cleaning, and even public piers. On weekends, there is all sorts of activities downtown along the waterfront. Bands, festivals, of course the Air and Space Center is there, just everything. Plus no PP Tax.

I have stayed and fished a lot of places on the water, as far as the Bay, Hampton has always been #1 choice for us.

Dont forget, take a right, and you are cat fishing, bass fishing, and even crapie fishing, only a quick run West. Nothing to it.

So, it does have it all, I love it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i maybe wrong but i think they get you when you register a trailer. i never paid personal tax on my boat i did pay sales tax but i was told they stick it to you when you register the trailer i never had a trailer with the last boat

toby
Oh yes, you pay personal property tax on the trailer, and if you don't pay it, the city notifies DMV and DMV will not let you renew your tags on ANY of your vehicles!

And don't forget the safety inspection on the trailer!!:D

·
Registered
376 Posts
It may not always be this good

I know that every year the City of Portsmouth AKA P-town talks about how much money they are leaving on the table. The have even negociated with Norfolk about coming up with a resonable rate for boats... but when it comes down to it they don't trust each other.. the whole "you raise your rates and I will, no you go first". Time will tell

1 - 20 of 32 Posts