Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to make up some lures for next year, and was wondering about what folks have had the most success with, in regard to colors & length, hook sizes & hook types.

I've been making lures for many years, but this will be my first attempt at making hose lures. :D

In the past I've bought hose lures in red, black & Fl green and have had mixed success with them, but really haven't used them a lot.

Any preferences or input? I know this isn't rocket science, but would like to hear what others have to say about them! :rolleyes:

Thanks!
Big Jim

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Hoses run hot/cold. In spring I drag a few that are 36'' (yes three feet) long and they sometimes catch Rock only 34 inches- greedy buggers :D.

I like a 3/8 dia. X 12 '' long hose for summer/fall.Dark red is my favorite but flor. red / green/ chart/ black will work.

A few years ago- purple was hot but that did not do well last season :confused:.

The big key is using the right guage wire.It needs to be soft enough to be able to bend/curve but stiff enough to hold the shape.

If you are making them your self - you might want to use a ball bearing swivel in the head.They are expensive but really cut down or leader snarls.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--Big Jim --The most IMPORTANT thing in Hose Making is the Wire in the Center --It Must hold a Set ---Sending a PM

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had good sucess with natural (brown), black and red tubes. I used to make my own also - the wire is very important, like the previous posts.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
IMHO the best hose for bluefish is the real amber SURGICAL hose, not the plastic or rubber stuff that has to hold a bend. Advantage is you don't have to put a bend in them as they swim naturaly. I used to cut them into 10"- 14" lengths and cut a small hole 2-3 inches from back end, feed wire through the hole and crimp on hook at that end, pull through from the top, and crimp swivel at the front end. They worked great for many yrs off PLO in the bluefish heyday.

I used to buy it by the roll from a lab. Not sure who has it anymore.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
IMHO the best hose for bluefish is the real amber SURGICAL hose, not the plastic or rubber stuff that has to hold a bend. Advantage is you don't have to put a bend in them as they swim naturaly. I used to cut them into 10"- 14" lengths and cut a small hole 2-3 inches from back end, feed wire through the hole and crimp on hook at that end, pull through from the top, and crimp swivel at the front end. They worked great for many yrs off PLO in the bluefish heyday.

I used to buy it by the roll from a lab. Not sure who has it anymore.
--dyed em with ritz ?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--HEY Bait man , good to see your name on the Board again --better I hope ?geo.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I like a 3/8 dia. X 12 '' long hose for summer/fall.Dark red is my favorite
Skip, I got some of these after you told me about 'em when I HO'ed with you last July. We've been just slaying the blues with these things this summer. Thanks again!! :thumbup:

....Now if only I can get a weekend without 30 knot winds!!! Last weekend was a bust, and this weekend isn't shaping up too well. :mad:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yea im doing alot better, I still have good days and days I cant move but im still alive. Tri state whens that?

thanks geo and deering

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well folks, I appreciate all the input! Great information! Capt George, thanks for the info & I really enjoyed talking with you! :clapping2:

Mosgo, I'll send you a PM!

Thanks again all! :D

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Most lab/surgical supply places sell it online. It's not real cheap though.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Capt George we kept it simple since we were targeting bluefish at the time, and they loved the amber hose.... Everyone swore by the black or red back then. I see where you're going w/ color as far as rockfish -not a bad idea.
--Real hose is COOL --But it Falls apart if not stored in SINGLE gallon Freezer bags --Except " Big Wallies "with 12/0 hooks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts