Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a 97 proline 202 DC. Boat length is 20 feet, its a dual console bowrider type design. Motor is a 150 merc with a stabilizer wing/fin on it.
My question is this, would it be worth it to put trim tabs on this boat? If I did what could I reasonably expect in terms of performance, i.e. less bounce in the slop? Any increase in top speed? Lower planing speeds? better gas mileage? Anybody have any experience with this size/type configuration?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Tabs can help almost any boats with a planning hull. They will allow you to do all the things you mention as well as balance your boat when you have an un-even load. They will also help when you have a following sea that comes from the stern quarter of the boat by helping to adjust the entry of the bow. Contact the folks at Bennett for a reccomendation as to which kit to purchase. They are fantastic to deal with and stand behind behind they're products 100%.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had trim tabs installed on my 18.5' Dauntless Whaler this summer. This hull pounds hard in just 1ft seas. The difference in the ride with the tabs was amazing. Friends who went out with me before and after couldn't believe how much softer the ride. I installed 9" Lenco electric tabs and they were installed by Chesapeake Whalertowne. All in, the cost was around $1100, $650 for the parts and labor was the rest. I know this is a little pricey, but I didn't want to worry about the quality of installation. I couldn't be more pleased with the result.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I have the new volvo QL tabs on my boat and they are fantastic!!!!!! Less drag, auto retract, all composite, indicator lights, less likely to snag a line on.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
put a set of 9x24 Bennets on my 25 Parker last winter.....totally different boat, especially when it starts getting sloppy.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Agree with just about everything stated above. TT are great or leveling the boat laterally when running at planing or near planing speeds. Can also push the bow down (by raising the transom) when running. If you trim the bow down too much you can plow and it can adversely affect handling. All things considered I wouldn't have a small/medium boat without them - BUT - with the exception of a stern heavy boat, they cut into the efficiency of the ride. That is to say, they can take some of the bounce out of a chop, and you can run faster with them deployed than without. But they do so by increasing drag (the price for raising the back end up) - at WOT in a well designed hull you'll achieve the highest speed (flat water) with the tabs all the way up.
To put it another way, best to use them just enough and not overdo it. At high speed the hull won't need them and expect 5 -10% of top end in a 18-25 footer if you leave them down.

·
Registered
437 Posts
QL Tabs

Installed QL tabs on Sea Hunt 207 and they made a world of difference. I like the fact that they do not protrude past the transom which eliminates the chance of a swimmer banging into them when climbing into the boat or fish lines becoming tangled in them when a fish runs under the boat. Easy install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts