Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Renewed my Md.Bay Sport licence for my boat yesterday at Eastern Marine in Newark De.
The lady ask if I planned to fish for Rockfish. Said they were required to ask everyone getting a Bay Sport licence and the data went to DNR. When I ask why the question her reply was that she felt DNR was looking at some new requirement --like maybe a stamp similar to a Trout Stamp. But she quickly added she really didn't know and was just guessing.
Anyone else get this question and does anyone care to speculate on what DNR is doing with the data ? I would think that 99.9% of Bay Sport Licence holders would intend to fish for Rockfish .

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I got mine at Marty's in Edgewater with no such question

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
renewed mine by mail...no such question, either.

easiest way to get in trouble is to speculate about the DNR's intentions:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
If I am not mistaken they used to have a separate Rockfish fee years ago when the moratorium was first lifted. Then it was rolled in to the saltwater license and the saltwater (Tidal) fee raised.

Sound right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got mine at the Walmart in Glen Burnie about 2 weeks ago. The guy specifically asked, "Do you intend to fish for rockfish?" When I asked why the question, I was told DNR wants to know and they are supposed to ask. I then said 'yes'.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I got mine from the DNR at the Timonium Fishing Show and they never asked the question. I guess it's something that they added recently.

Tim T.
34 Judge Express
Got Fish Too?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rockfish question

It is a question prompted by the the computer program that generates the licenses.
It doesn't require an answer, DNR never explained why it was there - just about everyone ignores it. More confusion from the Puzzle Palace ....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just left my local regional DNR after getting my boat renewal and boat Bay Sport license. The question was not asked by the DNR person there.

Had more trouble getting in the building since the DNR office is co-located with District Court. Had to remove everything from pockets and hold my hand over my belt buckle. Alarm still went off. Had to remove belt and then I realized - steel toe shoes.

Had to go to another person for the wand wave and visual inspection of shoes. Was afraid body cavity search was next.

Anyway - made it through - got stickers and no questions on what fish I intended to catch were asked.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Last year, we were required to ask, "Do you plan to fish for Striped Bass?"

When people get licenses, I can usually tell if the are Striper Fishermen, Bass Fishermen or just fishermen. If I can't tell, I would ask the question.

About three weeks ago, the question that pops up on our computer is, "Do you plan to fish for Striped Bass between April 21 and May 15th?."

This question, I am assuming, is to find out just how many people are planning to fish the Trophy season. Now, the problem I have with it is this. Are they going to assume that every person that answered "Yes" to this question, caught a Trophy Striper every day of the season or are they going to use the "Yes" answers to conduct a survey?

Ele

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Ele makes very good point.

Since the addresses of the licensees are recorded, maybe they ae going to do Mailable surveys????? Don't see how with the $ situation they are in, but it may be a step in the right direction of trying to accurately assess the numbers of people actually fishing.

This would actually be better than assuming that everyopne who buys a Tidal license is fishing for stripers during the "Trophy Season", thereby skewing their numbers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts