Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used a regular fillet knife but recently have been thinking about investing in an electric model to make life easier.

There are so many brands, styles, corded, cordless, etc. I'm interested in opinions from those of you who have either owned one in the past or currently own one.

Are they worth it and if so which one do you recommend.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Electric knife

Joe,
I use a commercial type electric knife that the wife bought for Turkey & Ham slicing.It strips the Filet off the Skin quick.:yes:

I only use it on fish like Tog,Trout, Small Striper,Sea Bass only.

Regular manual Filet knife for others like Flounder,Big Striper,Sheephead,Spade,Trigger and much larger fat fish.

Regards

BTW,I've used the Mr. Twister type electric knives before but they never held up long that's why I went to the commercials.Never had to replace them but recently bought a new one after 5 years and it's in standby.:yes:

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I'm on my third Mr. Twister knife in many years. I clean just about anything as long as the skin isn't too soft like on a tog.

I cleaned a few flounder yesterday and it sure was easier than the hand knife. It just takes a little practice and those fillets will be coming off in no time.

I've also used it on triggers, spades, stripers, etc..

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:​

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Joe , I've used them all. Even the " Electric Fisherman " model ! ( never got the royalties ) :rolleyes: First I prefer the corded type . I have a cordless that I use sometimes on the way in from offshore to get a headstart but they don't last very long & aren't powerful. I think the Americal Angler series works the best for me. :yes: I use it for all species, even flounder once you get the hang of it. Sea bass , togs , cobia & stripers are a breeze. Remember to wear rubber gloves cuz once they get wet you can get some bleed thru voltage depending on the unit & conditions. Good luck when you can go :fishing2:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have an American Angler Ultra going on five years now. And it's the sheet!:thumbup: I use it for small fish like schoolie stripers/triggers/togs/seabass and small tiles. I can rip through a limit of seabass in no time. Just knock the sides off/de-skin. I still like to use a regular fillet knife for flounder and sheepies and large fillet knives for larger fish like big rocks and cobes.

My gear....

·
Registered
365 Posts
filet knives

I use electric filet knives for all types of fish. The best all around that I have found is the Rapala sold at Bass Pro,Boaters World, etc. for 39.99 It has a transformer for using in the house, also comes with clips to use on battery, plug with for cig. lighter, and comes with two size blades. What ever you choose, be sure to go with the 12 volt.:yes:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I bought my father the one made by Browning for Christmas. Its a great tool if you have a mess of fish such as seabass or any other smaller fish that you can cut through easily. I wouldnt use it on flounder because of my obsession with filleting them will little waste, or on bigger fish like large rockfish and cobia because it just makes it harder. I think its a great investment! I think ours was about $40 at bass pro

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I have an American Angler Ultra that I have had for several years. It does well, and when I was first learning, it was faster than anything else. Now that I have a couple of good fillet knives and a few years of pactice I can do a quicker and cleaner job with a manual knife.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I own two -- an American Angler "regular" and an American Angler Ultra. The regular actually works somewhat better for me. The blades for both dull in a season or less, but are cheap enough to replace.

I have two so that my fishing partner can do his share of the work, too.

Since croaker is my favorite eating fish, and since I have more than a few landlubber friends who don't get to the Bay but love for me to give them cleaned fillets, and since even a big croaker has an appallingly low meat-to-carcass yield, several times a year I keep croaker by the coolerful.

Note: Virginia water, so those from MD should not mention that horrible number "20."

Anyway, cleaning a cooler of croaker *without* an electric knife is a good way to go insane, miserable hour after miserable hour.

i note that I also own a superb wood-handled unpowered fillet knife made I think in the 70's by J. Marttiini of Finland that is a joy to use if I'm only cleaning a few fish, so my use of electrics is in the interest of time, mainly. Also, I don't normally use my electric on rockfish; they just seem to fillet better using the Canadian method, which isn't practical with an electric.

Here's a great trick. You can now buy -- for about 20-25 bucks -- a small power inverter for your auto. Bring it and your outdoor extension cord when you go fishing. Now, even at a fishcleaning stand that doesn't have electricity, one person can square away the boat while the other zips through the day's catch.

We also do a fair amount of overnight catfishing from shore. Same trick lets us do the messy work there rather than at home. (In case you've never tried it, catfish do fillet quite easily, and you can remove the skin same as you would with any other fillet.)

In short, if you do a lot of fish-keeping, an electric is a great investment. Been using them for about five years now and have never regretted it.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I was afraid the responses would be all over the board but since you all seem to like yours I believe I'll have to give one a try.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had a American Angler cordless model 2 years ago. It lasted about a month. If I was to get another it would be corded.

·
Registered
694 Posts
cord type

I got 2 American Angler, cord type for Xmas 2 years ago both work fine, good on flounder:rockon: :fishing2:

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I use an.....

...electric can opener. Tuna/Albacore comes out of there lickety-split! Mine will even round the sharp edges so I don't cut myself and can use it to "self seal" until the botulism builds up just right for picnics!

Joe, I figured that since you were still in "rehab" with Brittany Spears and Lindsey Lohan....that you wouldn't be working with "fresh" stuff anyway!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...electric can opener. Tuna/Albacore comes out of there lickety-split! Mine will even round the sharp edges so I don't cut myself and can use it to "self seal" until the botulism builds up just right for picnics!

Joe, I figured that since you were still in "rehab" with Brittany Spears and Lindsey Lohan....that you wouldn't be working with "fresh" stuff anyway!
Good one Tom :D I think those girls have problems at the opposite end of the spinal column than me.

You know how it is when you can't fish...you just buy more fishing stuff. I'm still hoping to be healed enough to fish a little by June/July.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't buy the Rapala Electric Fillet Knife

It's comes in a nice case and it has battery and A/C power, which is why I purchased it. The Knife has no power to fillet big fish and it get hot a lot faster. I would say it's only good for Spot and any other small fish.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
To each their own, but a good quality knife and a little sharpening will filet any fish at least as well as any electric knife, and will do it anywhere you can find a flat place to work. How many electric knives are there at OI and HI cleaning stations?
My 2 electric knives went in the can!!
budc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joe
I have a Rapala electric fillet knife. It has worked great for stripper up to about 15 LBS
and Taug. It comes with two blade choices so not a bad deal at Bass Pro Shops. I have the one with a cord.
Brian

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts
I also use the Rapala electric knife. I think I got mine at Wally World though. I know it was in the $35 to $40 range.

It has a loooong 12v cord and a 110v transformer for use on shore.

My wife loves it because I filet all my catches either on the boat or on the dock and I only bring home filets.

12v is DEFINITELY the way to go!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I grew up using ONLY a GOOD fillet knife with a GOOD stone.....then I started mating.....WOW what a difference.....I have cleaned a limit of blue fish and lower slot (18"-28") rockfish for 10 people in the time it takes to get from the Northern Neck Reef to the Crazy Crab.....roughly an hour and 45...thats a little less than a minute a fish...skinned.....with a 12V american angler....I don't know if I could do that with a "manual" knife...I guess what I am trying to say is that in MY experience if you have LOTS of fish.....go electric 12V...a few BIGGUNS, go MANUAL....the electric knives don't like the big bones of larger fish.....
PS: I love to eat small fish like spot, better than hot wings to me, I FILLET THEM ALL WITH AN ELECTRIC......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always used a regular fillet knife but recently have been thinking about investing in an electric model to make life easier.

There are so many brands, styles, corded, cordless, etc. I'm interested in opinions from those of you who have either owned one in the past or currently own one.

Are they worth it and if so which one do you recommend.

Thanks,
The Mercer Genesis Knives Set is a seriously amazing set of blades and for good reason…Mercer is a well-respected brand in the cutlery and more specifically, knife world which is why we wanted to review it! For more information at https://www.bestfilletknifereviews.com/mercer-chef-knives/

- - - Updated - - -

To each their own, but a good quality knife and a little sharpening will filet any fish at least as well as any electric knife, and will do it anywhere you can find a flat place to work. How many electric knives are there at OI and HI cleaning stations?
My 2 electric knives went in the can!!
budc
Well, ice elemental 5e knife, as the name implies, is a knife made of ice that was used by magicians, the wizard, and the family elemental evil players to do decent damage. It's also known as Dungeons And Dragons (DnD) 5th edition. For more information at https://www.bestfilletknifereviews.com/ice-knife-5e/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts