Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that the coast guard will give you a ticket for using a ladder on a boat as a tower. However I have also been told that if you have a ladder and this ladder also has a hand rail you are good to go. I cannot find for the life of me any information saying either officially on any website for the federal gov and or the state of VA nor the coast guard website. Im curious if anyone has any knowledge on this. Thanks

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
If the ladder is attached to the deck and you have handrails why would anyone care. I'm not sure one of Katherine Walends could balance themselves on a ladder in the middle if the bay. Of course we know there are some fools who would attach a 10 ft. Step ladder to a 14 ft aluminum John boat and venture out in 4 to 6 ft seas looking for Cobia in the middle of the bay.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There more than likely ain't no regulation concerning ladders or towers, equipment wise.
But, they prolly can bust yer bawlls fer "reckless/unsafe operation" or some such chit. Sorta like operating a boat with passengers legs danglin' off the bow and such.
Just speculatin'.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
If the ladder is attached to the deck and you have handrails why would anyone care. I'm not sure one of Katherine Walends could balance themselves on a ladder in the middle if the bay. Of course we know there are some fools who would attach a 10 ft. Step ladder to a 14 ft aluminum John boat and venture out in 4 to 6 ft seas looking for Cobia in the middle of the bay.
Rules for that??? They can not use top step?
Of course,, Unless bungee cord is properly attached with duct tape to user?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Buy a tower or other boats will start slinging eels and crabs at you. Then you will need to have a camera and a Glock with you onboard every time you go out. :hysterical:

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I'm not aware of any USCG regs on this topic. Not saying there is not, just not aware. But we all have to think about being negligent on the water that results in an accident. Just as driving a car, when an accident happens and people get hurt, the negligent person pays. If someone got hurt using a homemade ladder and someone got hurt on the water the USCG could investigate and just like an officer on land, determine negligence was involved. Once that happens, negligent parties can be sued. This is more true for licensed Captains but is also true for all rec boaters particularly if the accident causes serious injuries. Common sense should be your guide.

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
This will be a lot of reading unless you get lucky. Look up CFR Marine Safety (Code of Federal Regulations) There are many of them to read through. There's likely something in those regs.. If you know anyone that was cited, they may have written the CFR # in violation of on their citation. It might be the way they're anchored to the boat that makes them in violation? I've seen custom type ladder/towers built to be mounted on the bow deck of center consoles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I have works for now. I am waiting on a quote from SS marine about making a tower for my boat. Prob something that will not happen till next year. but for the time being what I have made works very very well. its very stable and I am very comfortable on it. not sure why it posted it sideways.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
What I have works for now. I am waiting on a quote from SS marine about making a tower for my boat. Prob something that will not happen till next year. but for the time being what I have made works very very well. its very stable and I am very comfortable on it. not sure why it posted it sideways.
OMG..........The thought of climbing up that one makes me cringe. Maybe it's the over 50 part of me that knows I don't heal like I used to!

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you guys want to save some money look at some of the builders in FL. If you can measure everything yourself you can have it built there and sent up here on a pallet. There are a lot more builders down there and the cost is about 1/3. My tower quote for a folding tower and control box was over 4K up here. I had it shipped to my door for $1,700. Just a thought.

www.SouthTackle.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts