Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved here from CA in July. I did a lot of wild gambel quail and chukar hunting there. I am looking for a shooting preserve within about 1.5 hours of VB for hunting and working some young dogs. Has anyone hunted at Sportsman's Hunting Preserve in Carrsville? Other club suggestions as well would be appreciated. I have hunted clubs in Northern California so i know the typical deal.

Thank you.

George
Virginia Beach

Sportsman's Hunting Preserve, LLC
9657 Farmland Road
Carrsville, Virginia 23315

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't know about preserves, but there are public land lands near VA Beach, that I've yet to check out myself but will this season before April. You can punch in a species and pull up an area in VA on the following site:

http://www.findgame.org/

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks, but with a club, I can work the dogs in a more controlled environment and work them in the offseason on pigeons. Also, it's the only place they will get to see any pheasants.

If anyone hunts clubs.................please chime in with info.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Dick Cross Wildlife Management Area
Head west on 58 towards Kerr Lake. They are noted on their upland bird population and often have dog trials. If I remember though, its about a 2 hr. drive from Chesapeake. I've never bird hunted it but I have deer hunted it twice.

Capt_Ben
NoMercy
2350Bluewater

·
Registered
33 Posts
preserve

There is actually a preserve in Virginia Beach. It is in the Creeds section of Virginia Beach. You can work your dogs there and can shoot quail there for a price. Sonny Freeman is the owner 757-426-6602. I work my dogs out there all the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hunt

What kind of dogs do you have? I hunt a english setter and use a lab to retrieve. There is also a lot of field trials around this area if you interested. Give me a call at 757-641-0264 or e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vizslas

I have two Vizslas that just turned two. They need a lot of work and I wasn't able to train this year because of the move and job change. My male comes out of Rebel Rouser blood lines and my female was sired out of Red Dog Ranch in California. These are my 2nd and 3rd Vizslas.

Yeah I'm interested in finding some training partners. The only thing I need is a remote launcher for working birds by myself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
birds

You can still train without a remote launcher. You can dizzy the birds up or tie a fishing weight to the birds leg before you plant them. It does help for someone to hold your dog while you kick the bird up. Give me a call sometime. Mr. Freeman may be able to help you out too. Give him a call at the number above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts