Tidal Fish Forum banner

Do you care if the Forums are dynamically sized?

• I DO NOT mind if the pages on the forums were a fixed size

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I DO mind if the pages on the forums were a fixed size

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I do not care either way

Votes: 22 56.4%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

We are working on a redesign for the TidalFish.com and all the content on it. For the homepage and the content the size of the page will be static, meaning it will be 1000 pixels wide. This allows us to make sure the design appears in browsers as we want it to. You can still make the page bigger or smaller, but the site content itself will not change. We used to always have it that way and it was never a problem. An example of this is on the NYT or CNN As you can see you can make the page bigger or smaller, but the body stays the same. That is what the Tidal Fish homepage and all content will be like in those areas.

The Question
We are considering doing the same thing on the forums. Meaning the site will be 1000 pixels wide. This will accomodate very large pictures and keep things designed better. You would still be able to make the page bigger/smaller, but the content will stay with in the 1000 pixel area.
Right now the content is dynamic, meaning you can spread out the page and everything spreads out. The problem with this is that the formatting can get screwed up and things not look as they are supposed.

Before we pull the trigger I wanted to at least take a poll and see if it mattered to people.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gerald

Your speed issue must be a computer issue. On easton online which is my ISP at home I have 8mg download speed and the pages on Tidal Fish are about instant. At the office we have 1mg download speed and its almost instant. If you have 100mgs download speed please let me know who your isp is bc I want to sign up! My friends on the western shore who have fiber are at about 20 mgs download.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Gerald

If you have 100mgs download speed please let me know who your isp is bc I want to sign up! My friends on the western shore who have fiber are at about 20 mgs download.
With FIOS you can get 50 Mb/s down if you want to pay for it. I'm on regular FIOS and run between 20-25 Mb/s down most days.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If Gerald's problem is a computer issue then a bunch of people on here have computer issue's,now I don't have some home built monster computer,but do have what I consider four pretty nice one's and they are all slow when on Tidal Fish,but they all fly when on like the Bass Barn or about any other web site,it's not really a big deal to me and not complaining..

Brandon, would you fix my subscriber status I paid back in Jan on auto renewal..Thank's

Just did a speed test,Verizon Fios internet and on this computer(Dell web book) in my garage 100 ft from the modem and going though two brick wall's
Download speed was 13.926 mbps upload 5.862 mbps,

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
The speed varies from 2 to 14 seconds depending on the complexity of the ads. Crappy performance can be expected when you link to external ads.

Cabelas runs .5 seconds tops
Moo runs .5 seconds

I run Linux on a fairly hot machine. It ain't the user's computer issue...

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will check on the speed issues again if people are still seeing slow speeds. I am sorry, I thought we had most of that issue cleared up. That stinks!

I am typing this message from 30,000ft on a 747 using GoGo internet's in flight internet service and the site takes less then a second for me to load. I have to believe it has something to do with locations where people are and how the routing goes. Either way, I am sorry and will see what we can do. I may just get totally new servers at this point.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!
Brandon

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
I am fine with the site speed. TF comes up in about 8 seconds most times (with IE on XP and Vista computers)..the only issue I have with the site layout is:

Under the Tidalfish logo (Top-left) is a line with: "HOME FORUM BLOGS WHATS NEW"

The line under that is garbled as the text/links is written on top of itself: "Fishing Reports Online Store Calendar etc etc" over top of these words is were personal messages and other links are located (cant read them). Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Mike,
mine is the same...garbbled words under the header "HOME FORUM BLOGS WHATS NEW"
i can not click on an individual heading as they are stacked on top of one another.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts