Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heya guys gotta a question ...have a 2004 1802 trophy wa it has the bimini top with the full enclosure ...plastic and canvas...will it hurt to put it on and leave it out in the winter....will it hurt the plastic panels?....reason is ive tried using a tarp for cockpit protection which isnt working good ..plus i see a lot of boats docked with there enclosure on looks like winter storage...any experience with this? thanxs...mike

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The more it is exposed to the weather the sooner it will break down. I got a big(20' x 60') tarp of real heavy vinyl in the trading post for $45. I cover the boat for the trees falling and the spring blooms. It is awkward and heavy but keeps it clean and the enclosure will last longer. Martin

·
Registered
750 Posts
you can leave it on- for the plastic i would use some 210 plastic cleaner and polish both inside and outside (should use it every 2 or 3 months anyways) and leave them in a fairly protected area. Use 303 protectant for the canvas (sunbrella?) 1 or 2 coats will keep it looking good for years. If you decide you want to remove the plastic store it laying flat with some sheets in between each panel. Just dont fold it- hope that helps- craig

·
Registered
172 Posts
ivorcouple
I have a 2302 Trophy Pro and my enclosure and this is the 3rd winter with it on i do keep my boat in the water year round no trees around . I have not had any problems yet.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Martin got me to thinking that if your enclosure isnt strataglas (which if it came with a package when you bought your boat) its probably not. I would take it off and store it using the 210 or Plexus and cleaning/polishing it first like above. If it is strataglas- you can leave it on without much worry-

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea im not sure if its strata or not but it is the one orig. bought with the boat whats the life span typically on them anyways...wander price to replace?

·
Registered
750 Posts
west marine/boaters world have it- doubt you will find it at a auto parts store but you never know- im sure you can buy it online at one of their stores also

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
My top and curtains lasted 6-7 years...I just had new top and curtains made last march
(not cheap)....I clean the curtains with 210 and store them under the bed wrapped in blankets. The bimini I had made can unzip from the top and be folded up and stored.
To keep stuff out of the boat you might want to get a mooring cover made. I pull my boat out of the water in Jan and keep it in the yard until April and a mooring cover keeps it dry and clean.....if you like I can e-mail you a picture of the "Miss Christine" with the mooring cover on....

Howard

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys some good posts...i went and bought some 210 and 330 gonna treat em and use em the way i figure it will only be up (the enclosure) and outside for another 2.5 months and there still in pretty good shape...it is the cheaper set of curtains that were factory..so if i halve to ill replace in a couple o years...good post guys thanx so much...see ya out there...mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
The weather does take a toll on them! I just recently replaced my full set of curtains on my 21' Crownline cuddy at Doug's upholstery for around a $1000. He did a nice custom job but its not strataglas...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well thats what im wandering if i had too i could try to order another stock set of curtains from trophy ..if i can still get them hopefully they would cost less than custom...but then again i dont know...trying to weigh out the options....

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
UV from the sun eventually breaks them down and makes them cloudy. The cold won't hurt them, but long exposure to the sun will.

In the late fall I put them up and don't take them down until late spring. However, I have a full summer cover that stays on the boat (she is trailered) when she is not in use. In the winter, I have a wood frame and a large tarp to keep the snow, ice, and more importantly, sun off the boat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Consider Everything

There has been a lot of good advise in this thread but one thing has been overlooked.
Your aluminum frame has not been designed to support the weight of snow. You may not be able to go to your boat and brush it off fast enough during a wet snow storm or freezing rain. When the frame bends, breaks and falls down the clear vinyl windows may not be flexible enough to bend in the cold and will likely crack in some places.
Do not throw a tarp over your canvas as this will place more weight on your bimini frame and will rub holes where it touches your top if it is Sunbrella.
Tarps are good but should be supported by something other than your bimini top.
Your canvas and vinyl windows will not degrade nearly as fast in winter as in the hot, humid summer weather. The possible overloading of your bimini top frame is the only reason to remove it for the winter.
Bayliner will sell you new canvas at low cost but only in complete sets, including frames, which are hard to ship, and only for boats less than 5 years old.
Take good care of your boat. It is good for your moral and your wallet to do so.
Thanks for listening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts