Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a dumb question but when throwing lures like any top water, bkds, etc, do you have to direct tie the lure to the line or can you use a snap swivel to make switching out lures easier. I guess the reason you couldn't is cause the fish would be spooked by the extra tackle or am I just being paranoid ?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Swivels are evil. They corrode, they fail, they foul, they ruin the action of your plugs.

I use 14# fireline with 15 pound leader (double uni conection.)

Poppers tied on with a loop knot for best action.

BKD jigheads get an improved clinch knot so you can feel the bottom.

Flies are typically tied on their leader with a loop knot.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Most of my fishing buddies don't use em. They pretty much do what is described above which is probably spot on. However, I am an old dog from an old school and just too lazy to keep re-tying. So, for the most part I do use swivels except when tossing top water or jigging. The real trick is finding the fish...and if we do...I really don't think it matters much. A school of hungry stripers ain't that particular. We are not finesse fishing for wild brown trout :D

Forgot to mention, FWIW, I only fish shallow water (no rocks, less than 20') and do not use braid....8 - 12# mono works for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't use snap swivels for the reasons listed above. However since I've switched over to braid and we all know how it loves to tangle when twisted, I will use high quality (brass or bronze) barrel swivels between my line and terminal tackle. This allows for a natural motion and prevents line twist.

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
I tie lures to leader but have seen some do OK with a small but strong snap ( not snap swivel ).

They are small enough not to hinder action of the lure and will allow movement like a loop knot does.

If you try a snap - be sure it is the type where wire arm has tiny " hook " on it. Most are made from thin but strong wire.

Not the kind with brass section the arm goes in. These can pull loose.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Loop knot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts