Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no experience with either. With that said, could someone please tell me if barnacles attached themselves to the paint or have they found a means to penetrate the paint and attach directly to the hull?

Ultimately, I want to know if they damage the outer surface of the fiber glass on bottom painted hulls.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Barnacles leave a nasty mess when you them scrape them off. Not real damage but the remains have to be removed with an acid base cleaner or plain muriatic acid. I don't think you will have that new glossy finish any longer. They with attach to almost anything. They can stick to old antifouling paint . It takes very few of them to affect performance through the water. Power washing will not remove them so they have to be scraped. Sand the bottom and repaint with good finish and you might as well do barrier coat, Interprotect 2000, while you have the paint off.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Barnacles leave a nasty mess when you them scrape them off. Not real damage but the remains have to be removed with an acid base cleaner or plain muriatic acid. I don't think you will have that new glossy finish any longer. They with attach to almost anything. They can stick to old antifouling paint . It takes very few of them to affect performance through the water. Power washing will not remove them so they have to be scraped. Sand the bottom and repaint with good finish and you might as well do barrier coat, Interprotect 2000, while you have the paint off.
And use a good quality ablative paint such as Micron CSC. Sure it costs more but it sure beats scraping barnacles. Generally each coat you out on will give you one season. On mine when I took ALL paint off I applied a barrier coat, one coat of blue micron csc then two coats of black. When I start seeing the blue it's time to paint. And if you frequent a favorite swimming hole resist the temptation to scrub the slime off simply use soft rag and wipe. Since this is an ablative paint if you scrub you WILL take the paint rite off in no time leaving an unprotected surface.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Barnacles are the bane of those who keep their boats in the water. I have tried so many different products over the years and pulled and scraped the boats at different times of the year but bottom line is its an ongoing challenge that will probably always be just that, a challenge. Best scenario I have found is use the best barrier you can afford, pull twice a year. First time after the barnacle bloom in June to power wash, scrape, sand if you can contain the mess, reapply the barrier coat and paint. Then do a short haul in late fall to power wash and lightly scrape. Some years the barnacles are worse than other years and quickly become an issue. Other years not as bad which gives you the false sense that the barrier coat is doing its job. I have tried it all, even having a diver do the late season scrape of the bottom and running gear. Bottom line some years are worse than others and nothing you do seems to make that much of a difference. Its amazing the difference in performance with a clean hull vs one all gunked up with barnacles.

tell me if barnacles attached themselves to the paint or have they found a means to penetrate the paint and attach directly to the hull?
Several factors will affect this. Barrier or no barrier, condition of the paint, The longer a barnacle sits the greater the potential.

Best to avoid keeping the boat in the water if possible. If you have no other choice but to slip your boat then your stuck with the process. Also the more you use the boat especially during the peak of the barnacle bloom the better the bottom will look. Nothing worse than a boat that sits all summer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Micron CSC works great for me . I can get two seasons . Boat in water mid bay. On sale now for $219 at West Marine plus a $20 rebate on top of that . I tried West Marine premium Gold but it wore off quickly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who responded.

The reason I ask is I was thinking about purchasing a 2010 16' DLX Carolina skiff with the above said items.

What is an estimated value of this boat with a hull in this condition, and how much will it take to get it back in the water?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It will take you 4 hours to scape then sand her down. Sander with dust collection is highly beneficial. A gallon of bottom paint will get around a 16' hull 5 times. An hour to tape and prep. It should take you about twenty minutes a coat. lay down three. Save the next two coats for next season. A good days work and you are done.

·
Registered
13,984 Posts
It will take you 4 hours to scape then sand her down. Sander with dust collection is highly beneficial. A gallon of bottom paint will get around a 16' hull 5 times. An hour to tape and prep. It should take you about twenty minutes a coat. lay down three. Save the next two coats for next season. A good days work and you are done.
Good advice and wear a respirator........... Gary

·
Registered
589 Posts
ablative paint is probaly the best solution, however, if the boat gets little use it is ineffective. Ablative paint "peels" off microscopically with use. No use means a boat bottom full of barnacles. I've used West marines highest quality as it is really a Petit paint. Interlux is also very good. just found the West marine brand a lot cheaper on many occasions. Short answer is they will attach to paint, hull, motor, anything given sufficient time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts