Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed over the past year or two of winter striper fishing that my mojos haven't been catching much. I usually run them as the weight on a three way and the trailing baits often get hit.

I typically run them between 12 and 36 oz depending on how deep and close to the boat I want them positioned and run the usual brands like Swedes or Chesapeake Bay brand with a plastic trailer.

I would appreciate any advice either on this thread or by PM for any tips to get more consistent hits. ie some things you guys do with the mojos to make them more appealing.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm not as experieced as some of the others on the board but some things to try are to run a stinger hook in the shadbody on the Mojo. I found that I was getting hits on the Mojo but was losing becuase they were able to mouth the shad body and let go before the main hook snagged the fish. Another is to go heavier and get that sucker on the bottom. Just some thoughts. Again, there are some heavyweights on here who will chime in. I will be watching this thread closely.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Ben,

I've caught some of my largest "trolling" fish on the mojo. I use the 36oz variety mainly due to my boats slowest speed is 3 knots so I need the heavier size to get down deep. Some things I try to do is to NOT let them drag on the bottom. It's ok for them to hit bottom but once I am sure I am near bottom, I will crank them up a few cranks. I don't like any garbage fouling the bait and dragging the bottom you will get garbage on them. I use a 9" shad most of the time but also use the 12" shad when I am sure the bunker are on the larger size.

One thing to try is when you are sure you are marking fish down deep (and not getting bites), pick up the rod and jig it. You might be surprised how many more bites you'll be able to get.

I think the last thing I've noticed is the fish have been more suspended in the water column the past couple of seasons which means the rigger baits with lighter mojos or umbrellas dropped back a good ways are catching the majority of the fish.

Good luck!!

Glenn

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Its like the saying quality not quantity. I get lots of fish on trailers off the 3 way but usually I get the big fish off the Mojo. I do keep my Mojo's on the bottom bouncing. I feel it stirs the bottom like a bait fish digging for food on the bottom. The big fish are lazy and lay on the bottom and wait for the meal to come to them. If you dont catch em and others are catching, change up your baits and try different stuff. Cant wait for the big girls to come home!!!! Martin

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Like others have said Ben.... trailer hooks, chart or white and I really like the parachute style mojos over the straight hair tied. I run various weights from 12-36 from mid water column to the bottom.

I haven't caught as many on mojos either the last couple of years Ben;-)

·
Registered
258 Posts
At least two mojos for me. One chartreuse and one white, chute style, 12" shad bodies. Some days the mojo will save the day when a slow bite is happening, most days though its the trailer behind the mojo thats catching. I run a chartreuse Tomic and I switch the other up from red/white tomic, 6" chute, bunker color rapala, c/a spoon, etc. Let me tell you, my chartreuse Tomic is battle scarred, #1 producer for me. Also, I run the mojos on my wire lines to keep them as straight down as possible (28 to 36 oz). My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Your favorite lure is almost always going to catch more fish because that's the one you have in the water the most. That being said, it's hard to catch fish on a mojo if the fish aren't holding near the bottom. Stinger hooking shad bodies to the mojo is good advice, it gives the shad body more action. Don't fish the mojo just dragging along the bottom. Set it up so it will "bounce", again putting more action on the lure. Play around with the colors, they can make a difference. Chartreuse and white are the standards. I do my own so I can play around a bit. I like to throw red/white and blue/white into the mix. My favorite one is a blue and white with a chrome head. You will also notice their color preferrence can change though out the day, esspecially on sunny days. You can add a daisey chain above the mojo. That's fine if the fishing is slow because it can catch some fish where you might not have had any bites. If the fishing is hot and heavy I take them off because it's a pain trying to drag 5 or more stripers in at a time. You also need to make sure if you do pull that set up you have a enough rod and reel hooked to it, a 320 won't cut it on five 40 plus inch stripers.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
I've noticed over the past year or two of winter striper fishing that my mojos haven't been catching much. I usually run them as the weight on a three way and the trailing baits often get hit.

Thanks,
Ben
Thats what its intended to do - just be a weight.....for the last 1000 years all there ever was is the "weight" then some one came up with the idea -
<<< If I am going to tow it , I may as well have a hook in it >>>so now the weight is called a mojo and looks cool- million dollar seller - great idea.... the trailing bait offers an easy target for the predator.......if the mojo gets slammed thats just a bonus

Say what you want but as Darren said - BLUE & WHITE is a KILLER !

·
Registered
291 Posts
I friend of mine and his son, the only thing they pull is a cannon ball with a white bucktail/grub, that's it...nothing else, these guys catch some nice fish, quality fish. back to basics? Hmmm...don't know if I can force myself to do that especially when I'm looking at all that cool gear that caught me...lol

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Not sure if I agree that it is really "just a weight". Too many times, fish are biting the mojo as it is the biggest bait out there and it works.

My motto, always nice to have as many good baits in the water as possible. Tandem rigs (deep or shallow) and umbrella rigs.

Good luck out there

Glenn

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
ditto, ditto, ditto & ditto! all well said, my 2cents, we mainly get bit on the trailer too but the bigger ones we get usually hit the mojo. Have to keep checking em though and make sure they ae not just draging. I too feel jig them most of the time is the way to go if you have the enegry to jig that 32oz all day you'll be better off.
:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,248 Posts
See if you can find an Andros 20 oz parachute/MoJo.That is my favorite with a 9 inch shad body.I like chart or white and use different color shads.
Often mix white MoJo with a chart. shad :yes:.

I have not had great luck with the swedes or Ches. lures for some reason.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Its a Poor Man's Downrigger....

Mojos definitely catch big fish. I will not question that. Take along ho's and have them jig the mojos. I always have at least one out. Now if you really want to catch... an umbrella rig off a downrigger with a roller troller will TOTALLY outfish everything on the boat. That's if you use it correctly. Adjust the depth on the fly as you mark fish.

Good Fish

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mojos definitely catch big fish. I will not question that. Take along ho's and have them jig the mojos. I always have at least one out. Now if you really want to catch... an umbrella rig off a downrigger with a roller troller will TOTALLY outfish everything on the boat. That's if you use it correctly. Adjust the depth on the fly as you mark fish.

Good Fish
Having learned how to fish in NC a downrigger was a staple. I'm surprised how few folks up here use one.

Tom

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Color...

Mixing colors, chartreuse and white on something like a parachute and shad body seems to catch more fish on certain days than staying with one color. I don't know why. Maybe it's because its something different from what everyone else is pulling. I haven't talked to a striper yet, but that would be the only way to know for sure...

Good Fishin

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Downriggers are a Yankee thing. They have been fishing with them off of Montauk for 1000 years. If you want pin point accuracy and hit them right on the head, that's the way to go. Compensate for the bend in the downrigger wire. Add 20%. If you want to go down 20 feet add 4 feet and dial in 24'. Nothing to it.

Good Fishin

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
ALWAYS PULL A MOJO...............Our big fish yesterday came on a MOJO three way on the MOJO......white..........38"................one of four big fish 36" - 38" for the day along with 4 smaller ones 19" - 22" for our great crew out of Richmond!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts