Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still learning the Way of the Bay ......

How do you rig a Trolling outfit with weight? Do you use an in-line weight (an eyelet at each end) attached to a swivel, a leader of about 4 ft and lure? When buying weights - what range should I cover?

Also - when trolling STORM shads in tanden. Sould you use a 3-way swivel and a dropper? Does this tangle?

I see posts for trolling speeds of 6 knots or so. This spring with Skip we were moving a little more than 2 knots. Aside from obtaining the proper lure action is there a reason for faster trolling speed?

Appreciate the help fellas ...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Do a search for trolling spreads....there are a ton of set ups on here and detailed info. but 6knots is way too fast for rock

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
For Rock in fall I like about 3 knots.Most times you will need weights from 6-20 ozs. You can get by with heavy sinkers and less line out.By using a 16 at 75 feet - it is the same as a 10 at 150 feet , more/less.

In the fall we often troll near the bottom.I like a three way swivel (3/0 size) tied to the fishing line.Use a 4 foot dropper with a snap - this makes changing weights easy.From the other eye-I use a 25 foot leader of 30-40 lb test.To this I tie on a single lure.

For tandems - I use a 15 foot leader - then tie on a 2/0 three way.One leader will be 6 feet and carry a 2 - 3 oz lure.The other leader is 12 feet and carries a 1 oz lure.Let the lighter lure out first-then the heavier one.Let the rig out SLOWLY - counting bars as it goes out.Be prepared for a strike :yes: while letting line out.I often let 2 bars out-then pause-then two bars-etc.

Two Storms on the same rig often tangle due to them being the same weight.Best to use them on an umbrella rig.One on each side with a 18 inch leader.Quite common in fall to get two Rock doing this :thumbup:.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
An option for running tandem storms the same size is to put an egg sinker of about an ounce or so on the short leader to one of the storms. This will keep them seperated.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Thanks Skip!! :yes: Another arrow that I can put into my quiver. I need all the help I can get!

·
Registered
208 Posts
the top one is a bottom bounce rig, great for staying bottom when the fish are deep. try a mix of the two. I am not a fan of umbrellas B/c they leave fewer hooks in the water. 6 tandems = six places to hook up, IMHO

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
the top one is a bottom bounce rig, great for staying bottom when the fish are deep. try a mix of the two. I am not a fan of umbrellas B/c they leave fewer hooks in the water. 6 tandems = six places to hook up, IMHO
Double bait your umbrellas with the baits on opposing arms, add a teaser in the middle.
2 umbrellas = 4 places to hook up.
Also helps when a fish hits as the rig turns sideways and lowers resistance.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Chip - the first drawing is correct.The second one should have a three way off the rod and then a drop for the sinker or you can use an in line sinker.Lots of ways to rig tandems - I try to keep it simple to avoid tangles in the cockpit.

In late fall for big Rock - I do away with weights and use a MoJo as a weight/lure.They are made in sizes from 8-28 ounces and since I've never caught a Rock on a sinker-I use them instead :D.

Same basic set up - the 3/0 three way and a 6 foot drop for the MoJo and then 12 feet or so to a 1 to 3 ounce bucktail or parachute.It pays to try a smaller lure as the lighter lure to try and catch the under 28 inch Rock.The MoJo will catch the over 28 incher but rarely one under.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
This is how we run the gunnel rods..You can vary the leader length to what fits you better. 80# mono for the bigger fish. I try to keep the heavier lure half the leader length of the lighter lure..12' & 6'....24' & 12' etc

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts