Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father and I will be arriving the week of 7/25 to pick up our new Dusky and we will be fishing for a couple of days before heading back to VA. Any help in the right direction will be appreciated. We would really like to get in on some Dolphin, I have some small Ilanders and see witches rigged up and we are equipped for any casting/trolling for species like cobia, spanish etc and will have some tackle appropriate for deep water bottom fishing. Any chances of targeting a tarpon? Again, any help is greatly appreciated. 2200v

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Just run off shore and work the weedlines. 100 fathoms is
only about 6 miles off shore, Sometimes the weeds are closer sometimes farther. Being early is important because there are
hundreds of boats off S. FL. The 1st one on the weeds catch the fish. Bailers are plentiful in the summer but some larger dolphin can be found. Get some deep drop jigs and tip with whole ballyhoo. While one guy is working the school of bailers the
other drops the jig down about 100 feet and jigs it fast and erratic back to the surface. Often a big bull or even a wahoo
can be caught that way.

Sailfish can be found a little closer to shore in 60 to 180 feet
and a plainer in the same area may catch a wahoo.

Trolled ballyhoos either naked or with witches work fine.
Live bait is best for the sails but not 100% neccessary.

Along the beach look for pelicans diving on bait. Tarpon, jacks
cudas, spinner sharks and snook can be under the bait. Not
many cobia in the summer but plenty other stuff.

You will be going out of eithe Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) or Haulover inlet (N. Miami) . PE is a large busy shipping inlet,
Haulover is a small busy sport boat inlet. Be careful.

Good luck

Bert

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
BTW, FL requires a salt water liscence as well as the fed
HMS permit and they are VERY strict on size limits etc. Expect to be checked by the fish cops and know your species and regs before you put anything on ice.

Bert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.