Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I haven't been out in a while and had no idea what to expect. It was another beautiful day so I wanted to get out. My wife was going to the store and I had my 4 year old. He hasn't been trolling before, but sounded interested in going. The wife said I had to put him down for a nap and asked how I was going to go fishing. Well simple. We have a walk around and worked great. Before I left this afternoon I took about 30 minutes and rigged up 5 rods. --one with a red hose, 2 just a single spoon, 1 spoon in tandem with a storm, and one with two small bucktails with small chartreuse shads rigged in tandem. I did stop by Tylers and they said to expect all blues but I could get lucky. Well, no rock. But in less than 2 hours of trolling --including setting up and reeling in (all by myself as my 4 year old is not quite strong enough for trolling rods yet) we managed 5 blues. After we caught 2 my son went down below and took his "nap." Life was good. I was out with my son, have a few beers, calm as could be and warm temps. I even kept a few as wanted to try them for dinner. I am eating them while typing this and let me tell you. Not bad. I just put worschester sauce, a little olive oil, some random seasoning and butter. I guess the key is to cook it fresh. Learned something today. My son likes trolling --not too impatient, and learned I like grilled bluefish :)) I just was right out front of Ches beach in about 35-40 ft of water. -Polkster

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Sounds like a great day with your son. I think bluefish taste great as long as I bleed them, ice them down right away, and cook them within a day or two. My favorite recipe so far involves a dijon sauce, which compliments the creamy flavor of bluefish quite well.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
My favorite recipe so far involves a dijon sauce, which compliments the creamy flavor of bluefish quite well.
I took a cue from an earlier post of yours(?) about the Dijon sauce for blues and started mixing Dijon with my mayo for a new twist on my old eastern Shore recipie:

:chef:
Mix Dijon with mayo. Drizzle lemon on the bluefish fillets. Spread mayo/Dijon mix on the fillets. Top with bacon strips. 375* for 20-25 minutes until fish flakes. Nuke bacon for a minute to finish cooking it.

We had this Sunday morning after spending too much time with the blues while livelining on Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the recipes guys. If blues are around like this we may need to really learn to love them. It is also hard telling a little one that we should throw the fish back. I think it is a pride thing that he wants to show Mom and the other kids in the neighborhood his fish. Apparently, photos are not the same to him. He wants to be able to show them the cooler. I guess we were all like that once. For me, it is just being out on the water with some action. I don't have to keep my fish all the time. I will say, it is hard to throw back those 40 plus inch rockfish. I also want to show the bigger "kids" (my neighbors) the cooler too :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts