Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and two friends went out for a quickie this morning and killed 9 scoters and one old squaw. They are out there! Poon

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Your killin me......
I've been waiting for a POON report on the duck action.
2 weeks til goose season

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Boz. I had a little boy two weeks ago so it has slowed me up a bit, but I'm getting back in the swing of things. Poon

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hey CONGRATULATIONS!!!
My two little boys keep me real busy, but I still sneak out every once in a while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just heard from a friend. He was back at the dock with a 3 man limit cleaned and heading down the road by 9:00. Seems the scoters are here in good numbers, and old squaw are showing up slowly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are out there in good numbers but I think they have already been banged at pretty good. The big flocks are not decoying like they were for me last year. We still did fairly well and we were back at the dock by 9:00. Poon

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agree about the heavy shooting. My buddy said there were 7 boats in the area he hunts. That's crazy. We hunted there on many of saturdays and only saw one or two boats. On Thursday morning there were 7 other boats in eyesight! got to get up early to save your spot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think there were like five boats where we were this morning. I was thinking the same thing. Everyone must have thought they should go today to beat the crowds on Saturday!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Good work Poon, we went out saturday and saw plenty of birds, but had a hard time makeing them decoy.

I'm heading up to Ontario tomorrow for a week of diver shooting on Lake Erie.

·
Registered
93 Posts
congrats on the 2 week old, poon...just keep him away from my 6 week old little girl.

Not that I will make it out soon but can you give some details on how you are hunting them.. out of your mako, I guess but how many dekes.. do they have to be real dekes or are you using milk jugs.

thanks..keep the posts coming,maybe some action shots.. right now its as close to hunting as I can get..

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't know how poon does it, but as far as decoys go, we use crab buoys painted black, and then some goose sized v-boards painted like scoters. and don't forget the black trashbags to flag 'em in with!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey SeaDuck. Congrats on your little girl! I always shoot out of my mako, and I have a rig of maybe 60-70 decoys that I made out of crab pot bouys cut in half for the bodys, then cut out a silouette head and keel and attach under the bouy body. Then paint them how ever you would like and they are on stringers. It was a cheap and easy way of making them, and they look more realistic then milk jugs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great info.. thanks alot. I had never thought of crab bouys before. I have access to some propertly on the bay side of TaylorsIsland on the little choptank. Maybe we can work out a trade someday.

Hey if you think of it , I posted a picof my mako over on classicmako.com .. same screen name on the discussions board.

take a look, maybe we'll cross paths someday.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Poon: nice hunt B4 work - noted that dock has been posted w/ pics from ya last year - good to see birds on it again. [smile]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Could someone please explain how to make sea duck(Scoter) decoys the cheapest and easiest way. I heard about using crab pot buoys but don't know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Can anyone tell me a good way to eat these things? I have never found a good way to get rid of the gamey taste in river ducks.

Thanks,
EHOIV

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
[Q]contender27 originally wrote:
Could someone please explain how to make sea duck(Scoter) decoys the cheapest and easiest way. I heard about using crab pot buoys but don't know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/Q]

Gather up all your old faded decoys and paint them black.

Bert

1 - 19 of 19 Posts