Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week someone was in need of my GPS more than me so they took the liberty of smashing my truck window out and taking it. I have since then turned to Mapquest for directions and looked up Va Beach from my house. It says that going across the bridge and down the eastern shore is 271.39 miles and from the western shore side it is 272.07 miles from my house. I would assume that the eastern shore side would have less chance of traffic? Headed down to the beach for 3 days, I am not towing a boat, which way should I go? Thanks guys.

Dave

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Like Greg said, but 64 can turn into a nightmare at any time, with an accident on any side if you go that way. I have resigned myself to always go down the Eastern Shore since every time we go to OBX it seems we get stuck for hours on 64...also if you hit it any time between 2 and 6 on a weekday plan on an extra hour!:eek2:

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like Greg said, but 64 can turn into a nightmare at any time, with an accident on any side if you go that way. I have resigned myself to always go down the Eastern Shore since every time we go to OBX it seems we get stuck for hours on 64...also if you hit it any time between 2 and 6 on a weekday plan on an extra hour!:eek2:
screw that:eek2: eastern shore it is!!

Thanks

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,302 Posts
Eastern Shore is more relaxing and less chance of traffic tieups if you don't mind the $20 Bay Bridge tunnel toll ...... or more if you have a wide boat ........... seeing that water from the bridge is always great too ........

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Again, all depends on the traffic..I would say at least 30 minutes you would save, probably more than that...but I would bet you would hit at least that amount of traffic...especially this weekend...you not only have to deal with 64 through Hampton Roads, etc, you have to deal with DC! Inauguration Weekend!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Am I the only one that takes 301 to 19 (I think its 19 anyway- the turn at Hornes)?? That meets 64 about 25 miles out of Hampton Roads, VA... It cuts quite a few miles off the trip, and keeps you out of the cities- but it can be hairy... skinny roads there.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--Google 301-17-to 64 --

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Trip

You don't say where you're starting from, sounds like around Annapolis area. I travel to and from Reading Penna from Hampton-Newport News area about 6 times a year. NEVER use 95/64 any more than necessary to get back on 17/301 or other good secondary roads. My favorite is 13, but it is a longer ride for me since I have to come through Norfolk and Hampton Roads Tunnel to get home.
I would use 13 exclusively were it not for that last 30 miles. 13 is never congested, always relaxing and a more scenic ride. One note of caution -- the little 'slo-down' towns on 13 are often serious about slowing down. The CBBT toll is $12.00 for 4 tires/2 axles -- you'll save half that not buying Aspirin and Tums from using the interstates.
"Try it, you'll like it":yes:
budc
PS: The Islander Restaurant in Wachapreague is good eating and reasonable. I know there are others, I just haven't tried them.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
You don't say where you're starting from, sounds like around Annapolis area. I travel to and from Reading Penna from Hampton-Newport News area about 6 times a year. NEVER use 95/64 any more than necessary to get back on 17/301 or other good secondary roads. My favorite is 13, but it is a longer ride for me since I have to come through Norfolk and Hampton Roads Tunnel to get home.
I would use 13 exclusively were it not for that last 30 miles. 13 is never congested, always relaxing and a more scenic ride. One note of caution -- the little 'slo-down' towns on 13 are often serious about slowing down. The CBBT toll is $12.00 for 4 tires/2 axles -- you'll save half that not buying Aspirin and Tums from using the interstates.
"Try it, you'll like it":yes:
budc
PS: The Islander Restaurant in Wachapreague is good eating and reasonable. I know there are others, I just haven't tried them.
Very good advice . :yes:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
$hit City --1953--

Ahhh.... it must be 17 that I was thinking of. Thanks for setting me straight George!!
----Thats it usta bee staitoned n Cruiser In Norfolk --45 minute ride from N N --to $hit City & East Main St & the Victoria Hotel --

--Left a 49 olds 88 yellow covertable that rear end locked up on me --Firts car to have come ooff Base back gate was 1 minute with my buddies on the Gate ---Bought from Service man Shister Used car lot --1.oo down 100 a week kinda A$$ Hole --Called him tole him where is Covertable olds was , So did the Cops & shore Payrol --geo.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
:yes: Still better to come down my way . You can stop at a few places once you get in VA and pick up some of the best oysters you ever had !:yes: Bait and tackle on the way in Salisbury and Eden .
--Hey Mike Oysters are Scarce --Got tears in my eyes ---Yesterday Gloom & Doom said the MX ? has cleared up ---LAW SUITS , Ya Gotta use a New Approach --

1 - 20 of 26 Posts