Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the advantage of using a "Racor Fuel Filter" over an ordinary 10 micron fuel filter? Is it worth the cost?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Racor has a clear bowl that allows you to check for water and drain it if needed.That is the main advantage.

The spin on filters remove water but you can not see how much is in there.

I dump my spin on filters into a glass jar and let the fuel sit for about 3 hours.The water (if any) will form a seperate layer on the bottom.Knock on wood - my fuel has been water free :thumbup:.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Depends on what you mean by ordinary. Racor is a vey well-respected and trusted name in the filtration industry. The Tempo and the other are distributors. You have no idea about the origin or quality of the filters they sell.

Here is some comparison testing done on marine fuel filters

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/fuelFilter.pdf

·
Registered
111 Posts
Being in the Marine service business I can tell you from personal exp there are pros and cons to the Racor Filter vs Canister Filter assemblies. The Racor filter alllows you to see the water that is trapped in the bowl and drain it out which is a temp. fix as you need to replace the element when returning to home port not to keep on using it. The Racor uses 3 seals on the filter and a plastic bowl all of which start to disolve over time while exposed to ethonal fuels,should the ethonal mix highly exceed 10% the drain plug seal will disolve,dump fuel into your bilge and in some causes siphon the fuel from your tank as we have seen on several occassions. The Racor also uses a cheaper exterior coating which rusts quicker and are twice as expensive as the Yamaha canister.

The Yamaha canister you cannot visibly see the water in it but it only has 1 seal on it, is 10 micron rated, does not tend to rust and streak your boat, and are half the cost of the Racor replacement canister. Yamaha also only has 2 sizes (sm & LG) and is standard stock at any dealer and many marinas, whereas Racor has many different models and if you happen to need one away from home it isn't as easy as asking where the closest dealer is.

Several of the other manufacturers are not 10 Micron, but even those that are use less of a filter element inside of the canister. The cheaper the filter the less filtration element inside just like a large hollow space or they use different types of cheaper filtration elements used in construction and the bonding glues that also dissolve. We know this from cutting apart filters off boats that come in with fuel issues.

As in all cases you get what you pay for.
You still need to carry a spare filter element and plan on replacing the element every 3 months as a cheap insurance policy. For those of you that are just now being forced to use Ethanol, please do some research as the repairs for clogged injectors or carbs is costly and not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
The Racor uses 3 seals on the filter and a plastic bowl all of which start to disolve over time while exposed to ethonal fuels,should the ethonal mix highly exceed 10% the drain plug seal will disolve,dump fuel into your bilge and in some causes siphon the fuel from your tank as we have seen on several occassions. The Racor also uses a cheaper exterior coating which rusts quicker and are twice as expensive as the Yamaha canister.

The Yamaha canister you cannot visibly see the water in it but it only has 1 seal on it, is 10 micron rated, does not tend to rust and streak your boat, and are half the cost of the Racor replacement canister. Yamaha also only has 2 sizes (sm & LG) and is standard stock at any dealer and many marinas, whereas Racor has many different models and if you happen to need one away from home it isn't as easy as asking where the closest dealer is.
Couple of questions.
1. What filter heads do they fit?
3. What consitutes "highly exceeds 10%"? What compound does Yamaha use for the seals?
4. Last but not least, where can we get Yamaha replacement filters for 1/2 the price of Racor?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I too like the fact you can see water/junk in your filter bowls with the racors. That way you know if you need to replace, vs a regular cannister filter it's a guessing game. As far as price goes, I second the Marine Filters link. Half the price of your normal marine store. So far the racors have kept me out of trouble as far as water goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts