Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all tfer's

Does anybody have the specific model or part # for Racor fuel&water seperator kit? I am looking for the stainless bracket and clear bowl but don't know what model# to get for a 2005 yamaha f225. Anf finally the most important question, where can it be purchased the cheapest? Thanks sf.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help so far. I see on the sites given that there are multiple gph. Is the 90 gph the way to go? Thanks sf

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks for the help so far. I see on the sites given that there are multiple gph. Is the 90 gph the way to go? Thanks sf
If you've got a twin setup and plan on using only one filter, then the 90's the way to go. I've got a 60 and more then enough for a single 225.

If my actual use was 60gph, I'd have to get a row boat because I won't be able to afford the gas for a days trip. :)

- Dae

·
Registered
180 Posts
Keep in mind that as fuel passes through the filter, the ability to maintain flow is reduced by dirt and contaminants. It's definately better to go with a filter that has a higher flow rating than your actual fuel burn rate to compensate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I Have A Tempo Base Can I Use A Racors Glass Bowl Filter On This Base. Is The Thread And Gasket The Same Size Is What I Want To Ask????

·
Registered
864 Posts
Just a caution, there are 2 sizes of threads possible on the mountings so you should check prior to purchase (avoid an unnecessary return trip). I have a 60 gph, 10 micron size racor with my F225 and it runs fine. Specs are listed in any West Moron catalog.

Kevin - that bilge is disgustingly clean...

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
I just went with the 10 micron Yamaha filter. I hope that's enough, but; I see the the Racor actually has a water separator. I'm wondering if Racor makes a 10 micron filter with the separator that fits the standard yamaha base & threads and if that will be better then the 10 micron yamaha filter.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
I just went with the 10 micron Yamaha filter. I hope that's enough, but; I see the the Racor actually has a water separator. I'm wondering if Racor makes a 10 micron filter with the separator that fits the standard yamaha base & threads and if that will be better then the 10 micron yamaha filter.
Graymug...

The Yamaha 10 micron filter is also a water separator... it just doesn't have a clear base to see the water, or a drain to draw it off.

Here is a photo of the OEM Yamaha aluminum filter base with a Racor model S3213 filter attached.
(BTW Salty... there is some bilge dirt for ya :D )

The base in the photo above is a replacement stainless steel base. You can see why I swapped my aluminum base for a stainless one.

The same filter cartridge (Racor and Yamaha) fits both bases.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just a heads up to all installing water separators with the clear bowls. It is illegal to install inside the bilge or in the case of my boat, rear corner seat box. I was informed this info by a neighbor who is a Coastie, he said if I was stopped by them I would have been cited. I plan on moving it's location this season. The reason is because it is a potential fire hazard, plastic bowl gets cracked, gas flowing into bilge, any spark you go boom. He explained that it must be above deck and visible to meet CG regs. Makes sense when you think about it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Jerry, your statement is true if you have a severe problem with water in your fuel tank, however if you do not ha a problem with water, then the bowl will only contain a constant and clean supply of fuel. Jim

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Just a heads up to all installing water separators with the clear bowls. It is illegal to install inside the bilge or in the case of my boat, rear corner seat box. I was informed this info by a neighbor who is a Coastie, he said if I was stopped by them I would have been cited.
If you have an outboard powered boat, that is not a true statement.

It is only true if you have an inboard or I/O. In that case, the fuel/water sep cannot reside in the same space as the motor unless the filter is solid (like the Yamaha filter shown above).
The reasoning being that if you have a motor fire, a solid cartridge will withstand the flames longer than the plastic part, which will fail sooner and add fuel to the fire.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As a mechanic, I agree with Megabyte's statement completely, Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts