Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall after some fog during rockfish season several people here talked about getting radar. Pending a good sea trial, I will be in market for a stand alone radar unit trying to stay @ 2,000. Maybe, looking for FF too! (but like separate units)
Just wondering if anyone picked one up recently and/or what they would recommend?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I'm partial to Garmin for many reasons not the least of which, ease of use. That said, you can get into a GMR 18HD 4KW dome unit with a nice 7" Gps/FF for under your $2 grand budget. Add a trnsducer to the package is probably a couple hundred more (depending on ducer). Add a separate FF and ducer will cost considerably more. All this is, of course, defendant on quality.

Check out the electronics forum on Thehulltruth.com.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply.
I have a Garmin 94sv on current boat and love it. ( $1200. I now understand radar will not work with it)
Garmin has come a LONG way in recent years. And I will buy another if it fits my needs.
I was somewhat confused looking to see what unit would work with the GMR 18HD 4k. What unit GPS/FF did you get?

I do get on THT , never posted till recently ( boat shopping) but in reading there is often 4-5 smart arse remarks for 1 that is actually trying to help. May still try.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you get a older Lowrance multifunction display such as the LCD38c/hd vintage, I have a perfectly good radar dome that I would like to unload for a reasonable price. Cannot remember off the top of my head weather it is a 18 mile or 24 mile unit but perfect for the bay. Comes complete with interface module, all owners/install manuals and all power, interface and communication wiring. It is a enclosed array type of radar dome, in excellent working condition. Approximately 3-5 years old. Only reason for selling is I upgraded to HDS gen3 and is not compatible. Radar dome is currently still on boat and I still have old power head that I use in another boat(it also already has radar). I can put old display in place of new and video operation to prove it works if you or anyone is interested. If interested please pm me. Let's make a deal just trying to offset cost of new 3G or 4G radar dome that is compatible with new display!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TerpHeels, I am not knowledgeable enough to know what I am looking for on ebay.. Heck, I have used radar so little, I don't know what I am looking at when I am using one! :))
Reelworld and Marshall I really do appreciate the offers--- But ,wouldn't know what I am looking at and wouldn't know fair price.

Going to be fishing some new to me waters- I'm mainly looking at this as a safety type thing, But could be good to keep an eye on buddies out there too!
Just trying to get some info so that I will be more knowledgeable when I go to looking in a few weeks. heck, Maybe the current Furuno will accept radar array - didn't look at it hard as I have not done sea trail and it really didn't matter much on deal)

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Charlie, I had a 4212 GPSmap with the gmr18 on my last boat. I've recently downsized to a new Bay style boat and also went with th 94sv Chirp. If you want radar you'll need a display unit. The GPSmap 740x series will work. Actually most any of the GPSmap mfd's will work. And while I agree, the open array will show birds much more clearly and farther out, a gmr18hd will also, you just need to play with the gain and learn what a flock of birds looks like on the screen.

Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're looking at using it for low vis weather, I can recommend the 4g radars. I went from a ray 4k to a simrad 4g for that reason. I was more concerned about picking up things close in during fog or night. the 4k was great out in open waters and big items in Rudee, lynnhaven, or little creek, but i was always more concerned about smaller buoys around the inlets on my way in or out. The 4g works incredible going through the inlets, it would pick up the little tomato buoys from the little dredge in rudee last season before i could see them at 4am. most crab pot buoys too IF the seas were real calm(read pretty much glass) and i wasn't up at speed. once at speed for my boat its the same as the 4k for close or medium range, just picks up the nav bouys or pylons. It won't pick up birds or small boats far away, but like I mentioned, I went that route to be able to navigate slow speed in low vis if i need to. Con-They're still pricey i think and you need one of their displays. I can't speak to the performance of the 3g radars which are around $600 cheaper ($1200). Customer service has been great as mine got water in it somehow (in the dome) and stopped working. Called simrad and they said some of their real early mold runs had a small leak and i had a new radar waiting at my door in a week of sending my old one back. Haven't even been able to put it back on yet as I'm waiting for a new canvas top to be made (waiting since feb, apparently winter is the busy marine canvas season) Let me know if you have any ?'s about them. I bit the bullet hard and went all out with Evo2, FF, and 4g.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you're looking at using it for low vis weather, I can recommend the 4g radars. I went from a ray 4k to a simrad 4g for that reason. I was more concerned about picking up things close in during fog or night. the 4k was great out in open waters and big items in Rudee, lynnhaven, or little creek, but i was always more concerned about smaller buoys around the inlets on my way in or out. The 4g works incredible going through the inlets, it would pick up the little tomato buoys from the little dredge in rudee last season before i could see them at 4am. most crab pot buoys too IF the seas were real calm(read pretty much glass) and i wasn't up at speed. once at speed for my boat its the same as the 4k for close or medium range, just picks up the nav bouys or pylons. It won't pick up birds or small boats far away, but like I mentioned, I went that route to be able to navigate slow speed in low vis if i need to. Con-They're still pricey i think and you need one of their displays. I can't speak to the performance of the 3g radars which are around $600 cheaper ($1200). Customer service has been great as mine got water in it somehow (in the dome) and stopped working. Called simrad and they said some of their real early mold runs had a small leak and i had a new radar waiting at my door in a week of sending my old one back. Haven't even been able to put it back on yet as I'm waiting for a new canvas top to be made (waiting since feb, apparently winter is the busy marine canvas season) Let me know if you have any ?'s about them. I bit the bullet hard and went all out with Evo2, FF, and 4g.
I would highly recommend the Simrad 4G radar but it will all depend on what you are looking to get out of it and what head unit you want to pair it with.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really don't know what I am looking to get out of it.. the info being shared is very helpful in understanding more about what is out there.
Sounds like I may want to up my budget some . in past have not used radar even when available-- except on heavy fog.
( I have not been using all tools that may help)

Hookn up, what $ range am I in if looking for birds.. 7" head. (do you need mile range? really don't know- 18/24?)

·
Registered
581 Posts
In the 7" Range with 4G radar you are looking at $3198. That would be the NSS7 evo2 head unit. I will say radar on a 7" unit is very small. You can find birds on a 4G but it must be a calm day. Most guys looking for birds use open arrays but it can be done with a dome once you get your settings correct and learn your system.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
during Fall rockfish season, I am on water 3-7 days a week,, so do get to play with radar .
I see --NSS12 evo2 Chartplotter / Multifunction Reman Display Regular Priced $2,999 Reman Price $1,999
Is there a 9- 10" re-man head? for the 4G

·
Registered
51 Posts
Last fall after some fog during rockfish season several people here talked about getting radar. Pending a good sea trial, I will be in market for a stand alone radar unit trying to stay @ 2,000. Maybe, looking for FF too! (but like separate units)
Just wondering if anyone picked one up recently and/or what they would recommend?
We just installed a SIMRAD unit, I was partial to GARMIN in the past for support and ease of unit, but the guys at GREENTOPS demo of the SIMRAD user friendly system and had a package deal for radar and FF screen unit was our selling point we needed and it was cheaper than any online deal I could find, and its a system we can add to down the road if we like, the best thing was that when looking for a transducer for the system , the guys at GT actually swayed us from spending a lot of money on a high priced transducer, which I always thought was the best way to see things on the screen, we got the cheaper/standard transducer and it works amazing, never lost bottom while running and in 300 ft of water I can make out whats soft bottom versus hard when looking for tile fish. Hope this helps you

·
Registered
51 Posts
Furuno has great tech support, call them and they will tell you if there is anything out there that is compatible for your existing unit. I sent them a old unit I had and really liked on another boat I ran and needed it for a trip in a short time and they got it, repaired it and got it back to me quickly and I had it before the trip.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts